Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

hesitation on startup

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 08:45 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hesitation on startup

had the 95 for alittle over a year now. really great trucks they are. this one started to run funny a couple months ago when cold and wouldnt get up and go too well until you got it moving down the road good. my first initial thought was the temp sensor but it would also happen after i drove it for awhile and parked it for about 5 minutes. doesnt do it all the time though. seems to be completely random whether its hot or cold. on the occasion it happens it only seems to smooth out when you get the truck going at a decent speed. it didnt worry me too much at first but now its starting to do it almost every time i start it up. i actually need to keep the rpms up above 2k to keep it from stalling in the morning.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:22 AM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how old is the fuel filter?

Old 09-19-2010, 09:38 AM
Drifting

probably pretty old since i never changed it myself

Old 09-19-2010, 10:54 AM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

might want to start there since they're cheap..I just picked one up online for $5

Old 09-19-2010, 10:58 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wal-mart also carries our fuel pump for dirt cheap.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:56 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by discomedic4
Wal-mart also carries our fuel pump for dirt cheap.
Filter, he meant our fuel filter, $10 and no shipping charges.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:57 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Necrocom4
had the 95 for alittle over a year now. really great trucks they are. this one started to run funny a couple months ago when cold and wouldnt get up and go too well until you got it moving down the road good. my first initial thought was the temp sensor but it would also happen after i drove it for awhile and parked it for about 5 minutes. doesnt do it all the time though. seems to be completely random whether its hot or cold. on the occasion it happens it only seems to smooth out when you get the truck going at a decent speed. it didnt worry me too much at first but now its starting to do it almost every time i start it up. i actually need to keep the rpms up above 2k to keep it from stalling in the morning.
What gas are you using?
When was the last tune up? Have you cleaned the throttle body and idle air control valve?

Old 09-19-2010, 03:45 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Filter, he meant our fuel filter, $10 and no shipping charges.
Yes I did spike. Sorry about the confusion. Guess I should be more awake when I type. My bad!

Old 09-19-2010, 04:38 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

before the fuel filter check to make sure the fuel pressure is holding. Most of the time the hesitation in the morning is the fuel pressure dropped overnite from open injectors or fuel pump.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:46 AM
Drifting

i dont use any special type of gas. once in awhile ill put some injector cleaner in. plugs, wires, cap & rotor was changed about 6 months ago. air filter about a month or 2 before that. its getting close to be due for an oil change. i can change pretty much any part that needs to be obviously changed but when it comes to cleaning or knowing how to maintain certain parts i never knew where to start.

i went out for a short drive this morning. it hasnt moved or ran for about 3 days before i took it out. i took some video.

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y83...=roverping.mp4

it didnt act as bad as it usually does. but like i said its completely random. for some reason the camera didnt pick up the sound of the engine as good as you can hear it so on the way home i opened the window. im not sure how good the fuel rail looks compared to anyone elses rover and i dont have a gauge to see what the pressure is holding up at. maybe you guys can hear something that might be wrong though.

Quick Reply: hesitation on startup