Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

HID's in a 95 Disco

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 10:11 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HID's in a 95 Disco

Just wondering if anyone else has installed HID kits in there Discovery? I made a quick attempt earlier tonight to install mine and get them working with no so good luck. Passenger side comes on and then goes off after about 10 seconds, drivers side had some really dirty terminals and couldn't even get it to come on. Checked voltage at the plugs and had 11.59 volts coming from the stock headlight harness

Old 12-06-2010, 02:05 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like you got a bad hid kit. i've installed em in few cars and its straight forward, doesn't work means you've got a bad ballast or bulb. now i haven't done it in my disco, but i know in my mustang it had a dual fliliment bulb as well and that kit came with a different harness and used the factory connection for signal only, pulled power straight from the battery. was that similar to what you got?

Old 12-06-2010, 07:21 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

People have done it, but it's illegal in all states. It's not possible to legally retrofit HID bulbs to Disco 1 headlights
Not to mention the glare they cause is very annoying to other drivers.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:22 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that sometimes happens when you run the kit using the factory headlight wires for power, it varies from kit to kit. I always run a relay to make sure that the ballasts get the full 12-14v coming from the battery.
what antichrist said too is correct, I do not recommend just putting re-based HID bulbs into a halogen housing, you end up blinding everyone and you pretty much lose the ability to accurately aim the headlights in my experience. At the very minimum see if you can get some housings that you can swap in a projector kit from somewhere like http://theretrofitsource.com/ the light will be better for you as well as on-comers. You defeat the purpose by putting the HIDs in a halogen housing, the light scatters everywhere.

Last edited by jbarr89; 12-06-2010 at 07:28 AM.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:03 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

every time i see someone who retro fitted HID's into their cars i want to bash their skulls in with my hi-lift. it blinds the crap out of everyone on the road and im sure causes a few head-on collisions every year.

i say if you want HID bulbs then you need HID lenses to reflect the beam correctly otherwise it is a waste of time

Old 12-06-2010, 08:54 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

My HIDs work fine, throwing a perfect patter on the ground just like my factory lights did and there was no need to adjust the lights and in over 1 years use, I have been flashed 1 time while driving in a pretty heavy rain storm.
Trick is to set them up right.
As for the main question, better go get your battery/alternator system checked at a local parts store, need 13.6 for 14.4 volts.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:09 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

@Disco Mike: What Temp do you use?

Old 12-06-2010, 09:47 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

35 Watt, 6000K

Old 12-06-2010, 10:43 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
in over 1 years use, I have been flashed 1 time while driving in a pretty heavy rain storm.
That means absolutely zilch. I (and most people I've talked to) have given up flashing our brights because so many idiots on the road are running illegal lights that there's no point in bliping our lights anymore. All they do is just turn them on bright and make the conditions even more dangerous.

For the OP, and anyone else, consider what your insurance company will do if you cause an accident because you're using illegal lighting.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:15 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Where can I get the HID Lenses at? I want to use HID's but I DO NOT want to cause an accident.

Quick Reply: HID's in a 95 Disco