Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

HID's in a 95 Disco

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 11:35 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am with Tom 100%. Whatever happened to common sense.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ANY Modifications, that are not USA DOT Homologated, are illegal and make you liable.

That said. Any mod we make, that isn't homologated, has

"This product/service is for off road vehicles, operated on a closed course for competition use only, this vehicle is no longer homologated for use on New Jersey streets or highways"

printed on the Labor Op line, automatically on the Repair Order.

There are other ways we protect ourselves from litigation, but, that and the waiver are big ones.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:20 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

So, because DOT hasn't approved them, makes them illegal based on their decision, well in 2 states on the Easy Coast, our modified bumpers are now illegal and the Feds are working to standardize all bumpers on new vehicles, within a couple of years as well as stop the use of winch bumpers, they will be illegal, what will you say about that.
We have rights, or we used to and as long as I am not hurting others then I will continue to use them.
As for Danny Lee's statement, I think at 65, I have more common sense then any 5 or 6 of you guys.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:31 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
So, because DOT hasn't approved them, makes them illegal based on their decision
No, the DOT does not approve anything whatsoever. What the DOT label means is that the manufacturer has certified that the item meets the NHTSA regs, which it may or may not actually meet.
NHTSA specifically prohibit fitting HID bulbs to halogen housings.

As for bumpers, state regs can not override NHTSA regs and there are already NHTSA regs for bumpers which clearly state that bumpers are designed to protect the body work, radiator and lights of a vehicle in collisions up to a certain MPH (I can't remember the exact speed, but somewhere around 20-25).

Yes, you can continue violate the law with regard to HID's and continue to encourage others to.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:09 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Tom, I respect you as a knowledable Rover tech, your information is always/ 90 plus per cent of the time, right on the money.
That being said, we have quite a double standard on this site, what about all the people who speed, every day, they can be breaking both State and Federal laws, do we worry about them? How about the many people who want and have modified their catrs and 02, here again against both State and Federal laws? How about something as simple as mud flaps, most states have laws against our removing them, yet most do? California has a 4 year old law, the short version of it states that it is against Ca.s laws to be on the road with any form of after market driving lamps if they are wired to a power scource, they can only be wired up and used off road, they also sate you must have all after market lights covered and if sited, or can be subject to impoundment right on the spot.
Lots of laws, and yet many, many of us violate them daily, do we start a new thread and start blasting everyone that is doing something questionable or just stop beating this dead horse?

Old 12-08-2010, 10:23 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Show me where I've suggested someone make an illegal modification or said I have made such and I thought it was a good idea for people to do the same thing.

In any case, the things you mention aren't a direct hazard to other drivers. Even speeding. At times it's safer to drive with the flow of traffic rather than 20 mph slower.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:33 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found a great HID kit through DDM. I did it first on my motorcycle for obvious safety reasons and now want them on my Rover too. I am not a loud pipes save lives guy, as a I replaced my aftermarket pipe back to stock, but I believe bright lights save lives. Any light properly aimed will be fine. If they are blinding other people, you need to insure they are properly aligned so as to not blind oncoming traffic. Will you notice I have them. YEP, and I am OK with that.
In terms of the government deciding what it OK and what is not, I will just have to risk the fine. But than again I live in Michigan and we fire several cops every week due to budget considerations, so I think I will be just fine!

Old 12-09-2010, 10:51 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Tom I'm sorry but your thinking is flawed.. YOU CAANNOT say speeding is At times safer. Stops take longer and damage is multiplied. If you think otherwise then....

HIDS can be safer AT TIMES to the driver (providing more light) and AT TIMES to the approaching vehicle around blind curbs, that is till the the approaching driver is actually blinded. BUT SINCE WERE SPEAKING OF AT TIMES..

It's SAFER for me AT TIMES. To run a yellow/red light than slamming on brakes.

ItS safer AT TIMES to not wear a seatbelt.. Or not have airbags..

As you can see you need to stick to a side..

Old 12-09-2010, 10:55 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Altering vehicle height and width and tint and exhaust and lights can be illegal

Old 12-09-2010, 11:14 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I figure the HIDS are more of a pain to deal with, so I will stick to aftermarket off-road lights to light up my path. They are easy to adjust and point EVERYWHERE I want them to. AND, I can turn them off when I approach other vehicles or am in city limits.

That being said, I am in favor of doing whatever you want to your vehicle, as long as it does not jeopardize the lives of anyone(that includes your passengers) but your own. If you want to be crazy and live on the edge, by all means go ahead...just don't let it affect anyone else life.

Last edited by Chris-bob; 12-09-2010 at 11:18 PM.

Quick Reply: HID's in a 95 Disco