Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

high idle

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts
Default high idle

ok I thought I had this figured out but apparently not,we stopped for gas after trail riding yesterday and somewhere between that and home we developed high idle around 1300 rpm then this morning I start up and it runs to 2k rpm and stayed there

I checked all vacuum, all linkage, swapped the tps, recleaned the iac and then swapped it problem finaly went away and then came right back at next start up tried unhooking battery no change, a few startups later idle was normal then climbed up again WTF guess something got wet and needs to dry out? the connectors I unplugged were all dry/slathered in dielectric grease

this morning had the normal 1447 code there was a second but I cleared them without writing it down they have not returned yet think it was 1451 or 1457

my tps value at idle is 13.3, one I took out was 12.5, even when it idles normal this is the value, I have not touched the idle set screw and don't plan to

I also tried to reset the iac as in a thread here and it decided to idle at 400 rpm then shot back up next start up

any ideas? I think something is definitely screwing with the iac

Old 07-01-2013, 09:44 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

I had an almost similar issue....the 1400 codes are evap related ( you probably knew that)
I had issues with the evap solenoid and purge valve coming on at the "wrong" times....caused several misfires that the computer picked up on as well as a goofy idle......get a couple of rubber vac caps and block off the evap vac port on the intake manifold that goes to the purge valve, and cap off the purge valve as it exits to the engine .....I may be on the wrong track but its a quick & cheap way to eliminate a possible source of the problem...if nothin changes at least you'll know what it isnt....good luck

Old 07-02-2013, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

well after a google search and reading a ton of threads that popped up here and other rover sites everything seems to point to needing the base idle reset by the dealer or someone with a scanner that can do it

anyone know a shop in south jersey that can do it?

Old 07-02-2013, 03:52 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stupid question, but under "all linkage" does that include checking throttle cable tension? I had a similar problem (without the codes) that was fixed with some heavy gauge wire to keep it from creeping tight.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

the cable is slightly limp between bracket and throttle plate

the throttle plate slaps shut on the adjust screw

made an appointment with the lr dealer for tomorrow morning $161 plus tax to reset ecm they are friggin nuts but got me by mine

Old 07-02-2013, 04:44 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by TOM R
the cable is slightly limp between bracket and throttle plate

the throttle plate slaps shut on the adjust screw

made an appointment with the lr dealer for tomorrow morning $161 plus tax to reset ecm they are friggin nuts but got me by mine
Holy Sh*t!!!! Resetting the adaptive values(base idle) takes 5-10 minutes and is all computer work. I'm glad I have a friend with a Testbook for the 3 times I had mine reset while trying to troubleshoot my eradic idle.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

maybe I can get them to program my spare remote while they are in there ( probly charge another 160)

no erratic idle just stuck high

at one point messing with the key switch like IHscouts had posted in another thread it came way down to barely running them shot back up, wish I knew what caused this problem

Old 07-03-2013, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

well I just got the worlds most expensive car wash
went to stealership to have base reset and said they would throw in the spare remote programming and free car wash sounds ok

the only code in my ug is the 1447

they plug in and say it has

p1447
p0446
p0451
p1508
p0122

claimed they could not clear any of the codes

my ug still says 1447 only

said cannot reset base idle, said tried to program remote and would not accept it( yes remote batt is good and correct style), I did notice they removed the tamper plug in plenum

so I just paid 177 after tax to pop out a plug and wash my car

said they could diagnose for another 112

I am guessing at this point something got wet wheeling and is not drying out since it is raining every day and humid

I am open to suggestions

Old 07-03-2013, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Open the computer and see if it's nasty inside.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

had it open last month when I did the head gaskets and spray coated it with electronic circuit board waterproofing but I will pull it apart next week when home again

Quick Reply: high idle