Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Hood and Roof Satin or Gloss Black???

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 12:37 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood and Roof Satin or Gloss Black???

I am needing to paint my hood and roof. There is no clear coat left and I want to do something different. The problem is I am in florida and it is hot as hell. The body of the car is the midnight blue metallic and I have limo tint on the windows. Should I go with Satin Black or Gloss Black. Any other suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:17 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would just re-spray the same color and put a good clear on it. Most Rovers have problems with the clear on the top.

That said, there was a guy in town that sprayed the top and center of the hood white on a black truck. I didn't like it personally, but to each his own.

going through all of the work to sand, seal and spray, I would just match the original color..

Old 09-10-2010, 02:53 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you black out the hood don't use gloss, use flat or satin.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just saw one today midnight blue with an off white roof i thought it looked sharp and it would be a lot cooler in that hot Florida weather.

Just my $.02

Old 09-10-2010, 08:29 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have seen a couple of those two tone paint schemes now. The last one was hunter green with a white top. I really liked the look. I say same color on the hood, white on roof. Just my $0.02 as well.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:06 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would go with off-white in Florida, much cooler to the touch than black, especially for the hood.

Here's a pic of one of my friends Disco's in the Fort Pitt Land Rover Group
(fplrg.com) under events will get you to lots of good pics of various Land Rovers.

Here's Disco Bill before and after he redid the top of his 95 DI.
There's Mine with the camera mounted on the hood, and a nice group pic with John's imported Ex-mod Series and another red and white Series.

Attached Thumbnails Hood and Roof Satin or Gloss Black???-img_6496.jpg   Hood and Roof Satin or Gloss Black???-img_6505.jpg   Hood and Roof Satin or Gloss Black???-img_0030.jpg   Hood and Roof Satin or Gloss Black???-img_0118.jpg  
Old 09-10-2010, 09:16 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The actual LR color for the "off white" is Limestone, thats what the rims and roofs of the Series are painted.
I have the paint codes out in my glove box, I can post them tomorrow after work if you like.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:48 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Long Haul
I just saw one today midnight blue with an off white roof i thought it looked sharp and it would be a lot cooler in that hot Florida weather.

Just my $.02
I was thinking of doing this on my midnight blue one also...

Old 09-10-2010, 10:26 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like the idea of that white but not sure how it would look with the midnight blue and everything blacked out on the truck. Plus I want to one day install a full size roof rack. Thinking about going satin black...

Old 09-10-2010, 10:38 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by ryans97discovery
I really like the idea of that white but not sure how it would look with the midnight blue and everything blacked out on the truck. Plus I want to one day install a full size roof rack. Thinking about going satin black...
Mine also has limo blacked windows (previous owner) REgardless, the roof needs to be repainted after I have some surface rust along the gutter fixed. It's will be 3-4 weeks before I get it done but I'll take some pics.

I'm really thinking of going a bright yellow body, satin blackout on the hood and white top. Local shop quoted me 900 bucks to fix all rust and a few little dents, and reshoot the truck, including jams etc. One thing, you would see me coming!

Quick Reply: Hood and Roof Satin or Gloss Black???