Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

How many Parts from a 95 fit a 98?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 04:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default How many Parts from a 95 fit a 98?

Brother-in-law bought a 95 D1 to scrap and says I can come take parts off of it tomorrow. Don't know the condition. Is most everything interchangeable body, electrical, and accessory wise?

Deciding what tools to take because he is in a hurry and wants to sell it to a crusher on Friday.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:49 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Keep the '95, scrap the '98. That's what I'm doing! No emissions, EVER!!
Most everything will swap though. Different TPS, MAF, IACV, fuel pump.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:14 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

I agree with Fish....keep the 95 !! ive had(got) BOTH .....95 is much simpler

Old 04-02-2015, 06:13 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

Axles and suspension are the same.
Body and Chassis are the same.
Body Electrics are different with regards to alarm, efi ecu, MFU, fuel module.
Brakes are the same, although ABS ECU's were slightly different.
Cooling and heating are the same.
Engine is different in front cover, distributor, EFI harness, NOX sensors, crank & cam sensors, ect.
Exhaust is the same with the exception of upstream and downstream O2 sensors on y pipe.
Fuel & Emissions change mid year '97. Different pump, charcoal cannister, purge valve, vent, ect.
Gearbox is the same with the exception of the torque convertor. Due to crank sensor on gear ring the shape and way the torque convertors mount on GEMS engines ('96-'97) are different.
Interior trim is mostly the same with the exception of the door card pockets.
Seats have different mounts, seat belts and seat belt receivers.
Steering is the same.
Transfer case is the same.

The following users liked this post:
philwarner (04-03-2015)
Old 04-02-2015, 06:18 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

I agree with the other posts on this thread, the '94 and '95 DI's were much easier to deal with, especially as they get older. The 14CUX engine management system may not have been the most sophisticated but in terms of reliability, it was a lot better than GEMS.

Old 04-03-2015, 03:56 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Paul Grant
Axles and suspension are the same.
Body and Chassis are the same.
Body Electrics are different with regards to alarm, efi ecu, MFU, fuel module.
Brakes are the same, although ABS ECU's were slightly different.
Cooling and heating are the same.
Engine is different in front cover, distributor, EFI harness, NOX sensors, crank & cam sensors, ect.
Exhaust is the same with the exception of upstream and downstream O2 sensors on y pipe.
Fuel & Emissions change mid year '97. Different pump, charcoal cannister, purge valve, vent, ect.
Gearbox is the same with the exception of the torque convertor. Due to crank sensor on gear ring the shape and way the torque convertors mount on GEMS engines ('96-'97) are different.
Interior trim is mostly the same with the exception of the door card pockets.
Seats have different mounts, seat belts and seat belt receivers.
Steering is the same.
Transfer case is the same.
Thanks for the list, Paul,

The 95 was a very basic unit - no sunroofs or power seats - and pretty clapped out. PO told B-in-law it overheated. I spent the day stripping all the components that I could off it - tried to get the radiator but couldn't reach the lower left cooling line - may try again tomorrow if I can get to it before he pulls the cats and takes it to the crusher. I am buying the wheels and lug nuts for $100.

Couple of questions remain. Does the power steering pump interchange? Does the steering wheel require a puller to remove? (got down to the basic wheel but couldn't get it to come off). Does the basic inside rearview mirror just push up to come off? And do the little side indicators really turn to come out and if so which way? I tried to turn them without success - is there any kind of release?

I'll try to empty out the parts I stripped today and get back for the power steering pump if it will fit my 98. Seems a shame to let the transfer case go, but he is in a hurry to cash the 95 in for the scrap. Is there any value in the jump seats? I pulled them in case he wants to eBay them. Oh yes - forgot to pull the side mirrors - need to get them too. I felt kind of bad visiting such wanton destruction on a Disco, but I guess a guy can't save them all.

Attached Thumbnails How many Parts from a 95 fit a 98?-100_0405.jpg   How many Parts from a 95 fit a 98?-100_0417.jpg   How many Parts from a 95 fit a 98?-100_0418.jpg  
Old 04-03-2015, 03:25 PM
Rock Crawling

I managed to get the side mirrors, side signal lights (after reading the manual last night to find out how they actually come out), tail lights, headlights, the radiator, power steering pump, alternator, window lift ecu, steering wheel, and various other lights and switches today. Tried to take the fan off, but could not budge the big hex with what I had at hand. Thought about the cruise vacuum pump but ran out of time and it wasn't obvious how it comes loose. One casulty was the manual mirror which apparently was not a LR mirror and did not survive a "sharp tap downward" (from B-in-law's big rubber mallet) as the book says - turns out it was on the common little keystone mount and should have gone up instead of down. All in all a productive two days. It was sad, though, to see a decent Disco 1 body go to the big mud hole in the sky (or more likely to China to come back as more cheap crap and cell phones).

I still don't know if the PS pump fits the 98, but that will be determined later; right now it is time for a glass of wine and a meeting with the massage chair.

Old 04-03-2015, 03:35 PM
TReK
Received 653 Likes on 559 Posts

" I still don't know if the PS pump fits the 98". It will > Land Rover Power Steering Pump (Same Fit As Genuine Part # QVB101110)

The following users liked this post:
philwarner (04-04-2015)
Old 04-04-2015, 09:43 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by OverRover
" I still don't know if the PS pump fits the 98". It will > Land Rover Power Steering Pump (Same Fit As Genuine Part # QVB101110)
Thanks, good to know I didn't waste the time and perhaps saved $200 if it is better than my current PS pump; well, maybe $50 if I used the S10 PS pump.

I haven't checked the alternator yet because mine is fine but I thought it good to have a backup on the shelf if needed, like having two side mirrors in case one gets bashed like the passenger's mirror was when I bought it.

Now to find place to store all the parts I stripped, but first I have to finish installing my 90 Cherokee's new Power Steering pump for the second time after the first one had threads so gunked up with paint that the casting broke when I forced the rear bolts (thanks Autozone) - I'm tapping all the threads out first this time, and before the flames start, I'm fixing the Jeep for sale now that the Disco is in the stable.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:41 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

The '95 has better swivel ball housings, they have drains.