Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

How many of you guys own more than one Disco?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 08:54 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many of you guys own more than one Disco?

I am really happy with the drive etc of our Disco 1 and am looking at a II for me.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:57 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You are not going to like the DII.
I had 2 for a short while, I bought a running '95 for parts, swapped its ARB winch bumper for my OEM bumper and then sold it for what I bought it for, they guy is still driving it and is working on it to fix it up.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:00 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Spike555
You are not going to like the DII.
I had 2 for a short while, I bought a running '95 for parts, swapped its ARB winch bumper for my OEM bumper and then sold it for what I bought it for, they guy is still driving it and is working on it to fix it up.

Well Spikey thats just not right for you to make a statement and not qualify your position! Tell me more! WHats wrong with the DII?

Old 11-30-2011, 09:11 PM
Team Owner

Whats wrong with the DII? Whats right with it? lol
It looks good, rides great, ergonomics are good, it is bigger, MPG are the same.
The SLS (self leveling suspension) is a huge headache, crank sensor's fail every 70k or so, head gaskets fail every 80k or so, if your battery drops below 13.2 volts your M&S (manual and sport mode) lights on the dash come on and the electronic transmission goes into limp mode, which is 3rd gear only.
Any brake dust and the 3 Amigo's come on, and when those are on you do not have traction control nor ABS.
No CDL.
The HVAC blower is infinite speed variable, the resistor pack on it goes bad all the time.
If it has SAI (secondary air injection) and the filter on the SAI pump is not taken care of the pump will throw codes and fail.
The ACE (active corner enhancement) goes bad and you cant buy parts for it, and if you can they are expensive.
Most came with 18" rims.
The radiator is smaller, the cooling system is overly complicated and has tons of issues.
Basically the DII was built while Ford owned LR, and quality was NOT job #1.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:13 PM
Rock Crawling

thats awesome advice! Thank you. What do you think of range rovers?

Originally Posted by Spike555
Whats wrong with the DII? Whats right with it? lol
It looks good, rides great, ergonomics are good, it is bigger, MPG are the same.
The SLS (self leveling suspension) is a huge headache, crank sensor's fail every 70k or so, head gaskets fail every 80k or so, if your battery drops below 13.2 volts your M&S (manual and sport mode) lights on the dash come on and the electronic transmission goes into limp mode, which is 3rd gear only.
Any brake dust and the 3 Amigo's come on, and when those are on you do not have traction control nor ABS.
No CDL.
The HVAC blower is infinite speed variable, the resistor pack on it goes bad all the time.
If it has SAI (secondary air injection) and the filter on the SAI pump is not taken care of the pump will throw codes and fail.
The ACE (active corner enhancement) goes bad and you cant buy parts for it, and if you can they are expensive.
Most came with 18" rims.
The radiator is smaller, the cooling system is overly complicated and has tons of issues.
Basically the DII was built while Ford owned LR, and quality was NOT job #1.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:14 PM
Rock Crawling

whats CDL?

Old 11-30-2011, 09:28 PM
Team Owner

Depends on which Range Rover you are talking about, the Range Rover Classic, it is a good truck, heavier than the DI, same under powered engine, you do the math.
The P-38, sucks Chewbacka's hairy twins, EVERYTHING is controlled by a computer and there is a info screen on the dash, any fault and thats all your dash will read, not even miles, just the fault.
For example, the one I test drove before I bought my truck, the sunroof was closed but the computer thought it was still open, so the fault was in the display for the whole test drive, and it beeped everytime I shut the truck off and it warned me the sunroof was open, even though it was closed.
The HVAC vent doors under the dash are computer controlled.
Air ride suspension on all four wheels instead of just the rear like the DII.
Nice ride, love the liftgate/tailgate combo, limited accessories.
Again 18" rims.
Had 2 engines, the 4.0 and the 4.6.

CDL (center locking differential), which is standard on the RRC and the DI sends equal power to the front and rear driveshafts when locked, it is great while off road, snow, ice, etc.
DO NOT use it on dry roads, you will blow a diff.
It increases traction in slippery or difficult conditions, you can drive with it locked at any speed.
Top speed in lo range on the t-case is only 35mph, and the tach will be buried.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:25 AM
4wd Low

If I were to get another rover besides a D1 I would go for RRC, 95 LWB. Reasoning is that the LWB came with the 4.2L and has alot more rear leg room, the 95 because that year they changed the interior.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:06 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i have had a few D1's and D2's. Spike just gave the D2 quite a thrashing but with some preventative maintenance you will be just fine. the D2 has a longer body so you get more storage space. It has adjustable arm rests. The electronic dual climate control is great. If it has leather seats they can easily be fitted with switches to give you heated seats. If you get an 04 you have fancy headlights and a 4.6 engine. ACE and SLS are great if you plan on using the d2 mainly on the street. You can easily activate the CDL in a 99 or 00 d2 and 04's come with.

You have to take age into consideration as well. The D2's can be up to 9 years newer than the D1. 9 years is a lot of wear and tear on the body, leather, frame.

With all that said. I'm looking at buying a Range Rover Classic or another D2, it will be kept as a street only vehicle.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:11 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think in 95 they sold more Classics than P38s. They kept the RRC one more year due to large demand.

If I remember right the RRC had the CDL up to 89. After that it was a Borg Warner limited slip t-case. It was possible to change only from high to low.

I still own 2 Discos, the second is a parts truck

Quick Reply: How many of you guys own more than one Disco?