Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

How often to replace brake pads?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 06:36 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How often to replace brake pads?

Like most of us with D1's, or maybe not, braking power has always been crappy for me and I seem to go through brake pads like crazy. In two years I have only put 17,000 miles on my vehicle and have only gone through 3 sets of brake pads. The last set I put on in the rear I put on 6 months, or around 5,000 miles ago and they are already gone!

Is this normal?

Even those who off road and are lifted with heavy stuff bolted on how often do you replace your pads (on average)?

Thanks,
Matt

Old 12-22-2015, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,209 Posts

A lot less often than that on Landies, heck even on the car I autocross race.

Old 12-23-2015, 12:53 AM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

I put new pads and rotors on all four corners, and then replaced the front pads after 15,000 miles. They were EBC Green stuff 6000's, which are not a long lasting pad.

I replaced them with EBC Truck Yellowstuff Sport pads. They're supposed to have slightly more braking effect, but I do not know how they wear yet.

After visiting 5 local shops, I was not able to find anyone willing to turn the rotors (every shop gave a different excuse). So I just bought new ones again.

When I faced the prospect of new rotors, I seriously considered swapping in D90 calipers and rotors, but didn't want the downtime while I waited for the calipers to ship. I had ordered the pads ahead of time, assuming I could get the rotors turned. It wasn't until I had the rotors off that I found I couldn't. So I bought Napa "ultra premium" rotors. I got the rotors the next day and was back on the road. Everyone planning ahead should consider the D90 upgrade.

If you're changing pads and leaving the old rotors untouched, that could explain a high rate of wear.

Old 12-23-2015, 01:00 AM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Since the Discovery's parking brake is on the rear driveshaft, it won't drag and wear the rear rotors. If your rear rotors are wearing that fast, you might try lifting the axle, putting the transfercase in neutral, and spinning a wheel by hand to see if the brakes are dragging for some reason. Also check it with the engine running in case there's a vacuum problem with the brake booster that's causing it to drag the brakes. These are wild guesses. I've never heard of a similar problem.

Old 12-23-2015, 02:03 AM
Three Wheeling

Thats what I thought. Way too frequent.

I'm thinking its dragging, the ones that are worn on the rear are the EBC Green stuff with the upgraded EBC rotors, and a new caliper. Also I have done the full D90 upgrade with genuine parts installed by the dealership, which helped over the EBC stuff, but I still managed to make the front right pads smoke visibly just by casually driving in the mountains, which made it so I could no longer slow down.....

I think I'm cursed with brakes. I have literally replaced everything, oh and my brakes squeak allllll the timeee, they're musical

Old 12-23-2015, 11:23 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

The rear brakes on D1's suck, plain and simple. They either barely grab or grab too much and wear too fast.
I buy the cheapest-*** pads I can from RockAuto, usually about $8 a set. I replace them whenever the old ones look worn. Last time I did the rotors was about 3 years ago so I'm probably close to being due.

Pads are a wear item and as long as they grab(like any semi-metallic should) I don't need fancy $50 pads.
Pads themselves are a breeze to change. No need to pull the caliper at all, so maybe a 20 minute job for both sides.

Old 12-23-2015, 12:51 PM
Three Wheeling

true they do suck, I just thought 2-3000 miles was still a pretty short life span.
At this point I don't care about the pad or how often I have to change them I just want the screeching to STOP

Old 12-24-2015, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Akebono rears lasted me exactly 10k miles
I want to get the brackets to mount my old front calipers on the rear

Last edited by TOM R; 12-24-2015 at 08:22 AM.
Old 12-24-2015, 04:32 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by TOM R
Akebono rears lasted me exactly 10k miles
I want to get the brackets to mount my old front calipers on the rear
That would be pretty sweet, I forgot to get my old fronts from the dealership though, oh well.

Old 12-24-2015, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Red wich sells em , lucky 8 is USA distributor

Quick Reply: How often to replace brake pads?