Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

I need some help,

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 12:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have all metal brake lines from the master to the ABS, I dont know about to the calipers. It sounds like maybe i should try bleeding all four wheels and see if that works? The MC was bench bled

Old 06-12-2011, 01:28 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Get under and look>

My best advice to any and all "new owners" is to spend some time underneath your Rover on a good creeper with a good light and see for yourself what is there and what conditions exist.

Nothing beats a good close-up first hand inspection. If you are having a brake problem and you have not taken a close look at it yourself, what are you waiting for? That beats any advice anyone that cannot see it firsthand can possibly give you on-line.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:11 PM
Rock Crawling

Dont get me wrong ive been under my truck probably more then ive been in it. Just cant recall if the PO did the stainless steel brake lines or not.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:04 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OK good luck with it.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:03 AM
Rock Crawling

I did the stainless steel brake lines and speed bleeders. The brakes on these trucks need attention, but mine are still working okay after 15 years. I believe this is where I got my brake lines -
Land Rover/Range Rover Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
They go between the end of the steel brake lines and the wheel cylinder on each wheel. They're not real expensive, but definitely worth the money.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:19 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A bad master cylinder can allow air to get in the system. If you bleed all 4 wheels you're likely to clear your issue. At the same time check the rubber brake hoses for bulges.

My brother had a similar problem on his clutch master cylinder on his YJ. He had to bleed it every week due to air coming in from the master cylinder.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Did you try any of my suggestions?

Am I talking to myself?

Are you still driving it and just pumping the brakes to stop? Do they build pressure at all?

Last edited by ColoDisco; 06-13-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:25 PM
Rock Crawling

I did infact, Right now my plan is to bleed all four brake calipers and if that doesn't clear the issue im going to be purchasing a new brake booster.

Sorry Brad, I've just been working on a couple friends vehicles as a side job so ive kinda been neglecting the rover. The brakes have enough power to get my vehicle stopped, Its just i need alot of advanced warning before having to brake so i can give myself an extra 100ft of braking distance. No pressure building up, I can hear it all whooshing by.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:40 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why are you going to purchase a new brake booster? The brake booster will not cause you to lose pedal. Do not spend money on a part that is not bad. Start with bleeding the ENTIRE brake system. Bleed the right rear until clean fluid comes out, then the left rear, then the right front, then the left front. Make sure you go through a quart of brake fluid so you can be sure you remove all the old fluid and any air with it. The brake lines are metal from the master cylinder to the axles. At the axles is where you will find the brake hoses. Check those and replace if they appear questionable(cracks or other damage). I would be looking at replacing the master cylinder next.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:00 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Chris-bob
Why are you going to purchase a new brake booster? The brake booster will not cause you to lose pedal. Do not spend money on a part that is not bad. Start with bleeding the ENTIRE brake system. Bleed the right rear until clean fluid comes out, then the left rear, then the right front, then the left front. Make sure you go through a quart of brake fluid so you can be sure you remove all the old fluid and any air with it. The brake lines are metal from the master cylinder to the axles. At the axles is where you will find the brake hoses. Check those and replace if they appear questionable(cracks or other damage). I would be looking at replacing the master cylinder next.
I was told that if the brake boosters diaphragm is broken, Air will pass through it instead of holding pressure to "Boost" braking power. Hence the whooshing sound i am getting.

The master cylinder has been replaced, I do plan on bleeding the entire system. If that doesn't work, Then i have no other option then to replace the booster and hope that works.

Quick Reply: I need some help,