Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Ignition Switch/Steering Lock question

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 05:28 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Switch/Steering Lock question

I posted this on a related thread but thought it would be helpful to post the question here...

So my ignition switch/steering lock wore out and the key wouldn't turn anymore. I removed the steering lock from the steering column and unplugged the wiring. I then removed the ignition switch in an attempt to "get by" until a replacement arrived. I was hoping to simply use the ignition switch to start my 99 Disco ! SD. When I turn the switch to "Start" the engine turns over (sounds normal), starts for a second or two and then immediately dies. After several tries, it stays running and appears to run just fine. Odd thing is that it started/ran just fine before pulling the ignition switch. My question is this - is the start/die problem related to the fact that my steering lock and various interlocks have been removed (I'm essentially hot wiring my Disco) or is it likely something else? I replaced the Crank Position Sensor not too long ago; however, its acting like the sensor is on its last leg. I appreciate any suggestions!

Old 10-07-2013, 07:13 PM
Overlanding

Pulled some codes and picked up 1193, 0300, 0307, 1316, 1317, and 1178. I'm guessing the 1193 is the culprit and is also creating the 0300/0307 codes. It would appear the that its simply a coincidence that this problem started precisely when I decided to pull the ignition switch. I did a complete tune-up less than 1000 miles ago (plugs, wires, etc.), for what its worth. Any thoughts?

Old 10-07-2013, 08:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Ignore this one... pull the ABS fuse and be done with it.
P1317 ABS Rough Road Line Low Fault

These all seem to be related, I Will tell you I had a few goofy things going on with my truck that tied the 0300,0307/8 and the 1316 together...

P1193 Oxygen Sensor Heater Circuit Open Downstream
P0300 Misfire On Multiple Cylinder
P0307 Misfire Cylinder 7
P1316 Misfire Excessive Emissions Fault
P1178 Maximum Positive AMFR Correction Fault

For the 117x codes however the symptoms can be different. Do you have an ultragauge or something similar?

I found out there were issues with my engine cutting back in cycles which caused some missfire codes as well as 117x's .. it was the ECU cutting fuel cause it thought the truck was running 50mph higher than what was the speedo was showing....

For the other issues, I can't say for sure but i would think there is an issue with bypassing the ignition... look at the rave for the wiring behind it.

also check fuel pressure if you can, but if it is just the engine cutting the power to the fuel pump because it thinks its being stolen that won't help you much either..

Old 10-10-2013, 09:02 PM
Overlanding

Ok, so here's an update. I swapped out the ignition switch and the problem appears to be solved. I believe there was one particular interlock (it actually had a magnetic mechanism that lies beneath a metallic cover that attaches via 2 screws) that I didn't disconnect that was the culprit. I haven't had a chance to check the RAVE to pinpoint its function. I would have thought the interlock would have prevented the engine from running instead of throwing codes. Then again.... This was another lesson in stop banging your head on the dash, go to your stash and pour a stiff one while you regroup. I hope the insights make sense and help others sort out similar ignition dilemmas.