Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

The Infamus 96 Discovery

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 05:15 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb The Infamus 96 Discovery

So here she is, the 96 I've been ranting on about. I pick her up on the 31 of march, unless of course I find better. I presume she will be replacing my current 98 disco.
Asking price: $1,200
Mileage: 180k +
Condition: Fair to good overall. Mechanical work includes rear axle servicing (sevre), possibly some engine work (apparent engine leak), Srs light is on but supposedly a recall is available, check engine light is on (unknown, maybe regarding low oil due to engine leak), drivers side mirror needs to be replaced, rear bumper plastic covering needs to be replaced, small rust hole near rear bumper needs to be patched or panel replaced, and rear sun roof is off tracks. Rear driveshaft needs to be replaced with conversion shaft, diff work.
My motive: Looking for a older discovery (96-99) with around 150-200k mileage. Exterior body panels must be in overall good condition with no major panel work or replacement required. Interior must be intact for the most part. Looking to focus my time and attention on the mechanical aspect of the candidate. Replacing old worn stock exhaust with new stainless steel magnaflow exhaust system. Replacing front and rear axle assembles with used refurbished axles. Replacing old break lines with new stainless steel lines. Adding new slotted and drilled rotors, ceramic pads and high performance calipuars. Eventually replacing entire engine with used refurbished rebuilt engine. Lastly, believe it or not, the needed servicing list is shorter and more centered on a single area in contrast to my 98 which has various problems here and there and much needed panel work.

Let me know what you think. Take into account the longer list of repairs needed for my 98 discovery.

Name:  imagejpeg952.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  23.0 KBName:  imagejpeg953_26.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  26.0 KB

Name:  imagejpeg953_25.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  19.4 KB

Name:  imagejpeg953_4.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  35.5 KB

Name:  imagejpeg953_21.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  30.1 KB

Name:  3n03m33o45O35Q65R0b34496856bb507811e6.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  7.6 KB

Name:  3k43o33ld5Y35P15R0b3473e6caba193f16b9.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  7.7 KB

Name:  imagejpeg953_11.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  26.3 KB

Name:  imagejpeg953_10.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  24.2 KB

Old 03-22-2011, 06:08 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

get on the phone with Will Tiller AKA www.roverguy.com and figure out what parts you need. i see a mirror and bumper are in order. i would just hack off the front bar that is bent in on the brushguard. no need to try and fix that. good luck with your new buy! make sure to test drive it and if you have a code reader get that code scanned so you know whats wrong with the truck.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:17 AM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ShadowMerchantBC
......I pick her up on the 31 of march, unless of course I find better. I presume she will be replacing my current 98 disco.

--- The parts are interchangable... keep em both and use the best of both.

Asking price: $1,200

--- NOT worth that amount... all sorts of unknowns but the visible knowns make it WAY too pricey. offer $750 MAX or walk... there are lots of Rovers out there in better shape for $1200

Condition: Fair to ?good? overall. Mechanical work includes rear axle servicing (sevre), possibly some engine work (apparent engine leak), Srs light is on but supposedly a recall is available, check engine light is on (unknown, maybe regarding low oil due to engine leak), drivers side mirror needs to be replaced, rear bumper plastic covering needs to be replaced, small rust hole near rear bumper needs to be patched or panel replaced, and rear sun roof is off tracks. Rear driveshaft needs to be replaced with conversion shaft, diff work.
My motive: Looking for a older discovery (96-99) with around 150-200k mileage. Exterior body panels must be in overall good condition with no major panel work or replacement required. Interior must be intact for the most part. Looking to focus my time and attention on the mechanical aspect of the candidate. Replacing old worn stock exhaust with new stainless steel magnaflow exhaust system. Replacing front and rear axle assembles with used refurbished axles. Replacing old break lines with new stainless steel lines. Adding new slotted and drilled rotors, ceramic pads and high performance calipuars. Eventually replacing entire engine with used refurbished rebuilt engine. Lastly, believe it or not, the needed servicing list is shorter and more centered on a single area in contrast to my 98 which has various problems here and there and much needed panel work.
Dude... you are talking $3000 to $5000 there in just add ons on top of the $1200 for the truck... depending on who does the work. And you didn't even mention suspension or the guaranteed electrical issues.

What is your reasoning ro buying a beater needing tons of work and cash to make it even run, let alone reliably or safely? This logic makes my head hurt.

Find a sweet Disco for about $3000 with repairs already done to it! At that price you should find a rig with heads, pumps, exhaust, suspension and bearings already done.... You will end up spending way more than that to restore that '96 with visible cancer, major driveline issues and obvious crap repair work by the PO.

OKdiscoguy is selling his truck now...

Don't buy a disco... buy a calculator.

Last edited by Cosmic88; 03-22-2011 at 07:58 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:13 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah thats waaaaaay too much work and waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much money and your not even off road worthy then..your just repairing....I'd toss that disco and not let it be a money pit and just get a good one for about 4000 grand...I got mine disco for 3K but it had rebuilt engine and such...it needed new paint job, suspension and tires....so ill be at 5000 with her (paint being the most expensive) but she also has off road goodies on it plus when bought new it had its undercarriage sprayed...no rust issues for me

With all those repairs that I am seeing...body work alone if you do it right will cost you ridicolous amounts

Last edited by thehun; 03-22-2011 at 09:17 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:14 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face '96 Disco

I agree with Cosmic. What are you a glutton for punishment ? Or just too much time and money on your hands ? A recall on the SRS ? On a '96 Disco ? I had problems with my SRS, personnaly, I think they set the light to go off after 10 years, so you will get the air bags serviced, but it's not a DIY job. I love my '96 Disco, but, hey, it's been taken care of and will pass emissions and safety inspection. I wouldn't touch that one.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:31 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have too agree with the others on this one, it's way to much $$$. For that truck. Take a look at my 96 thread... I bought that truck for 1000 even, just because the interior was literally mint, it had 5 brand new tires, with receipts, and there was zero rust or body damage. I've done some of the things you mention, upgraded the exshaust Redone the tie rods, ...hell just see my sig... Took almost a year to just get it on the road and a lot of frustration. In total as it sits I fix I have another 2000 in the parts I've replaced not including any of the labor.

Please, save yourself the grief and find a better truck. They are out there.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:01 PM
Three Wheeling

you could get this one and have it shipped to you for about the same......and it's probably rust free. LAND ROVER DISCOVERY

I paid $1200 for my '99 D1 SD and i've been driving it non stop between the age repairs. not a lick of rust on it.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:03 PM
Three Wheeling

or this one almost ready to go....98 land rover discovery lifted $2000 obo

Old 03-22-2011, 07:42 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The check engine light does not come on because the oil level is low.
Walk from that one, it was beat hard.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forget about ceramic pads(they are junk and warp rotors really fast) and if you want to see a stainless magnaflow exhaust look at my 5" lift thread its the cheapest stainless I have ever seen in my life........rant over.

I would walk away from that for that price with the rear diff being like that but if you can pick it up for $8-900 I say go for it and have fun

Quick Reply: The Infamus 96 Discovery