Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

The Infamus 96 Discovery

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 08:26 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also stay away from drilled rotors...rocks will get stuck..and goodbye rotor and or brake pad

Old 03-23-2011, 12:27 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dude, did you see The Griswold's Wally World movie with Chevy Chase in it.

When he ran his new station wagon thru the barricade and was towed in for repair?

"You don't know much do you boy"? "You stupid aint you"

Griswold: "So how much do I owe you?"

Mechanic: "How much money you got boy?"

Run, don't walk. Most of all don't buy it.

You are focused way too much on the Body Panels and not enough on the actual vehicle. The body panels are just sheet metal and paint.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:09 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know it may be a lot of work but worst case scenario ill pull off the rear axle from my 98, buy new seals and bearings, put them on it then replace the crappy axle on the 96 with the this one. That's $900 savings maximum I could save by doing it this way, rather than buying a used axle and pay $600 plus freight shipping charges plus labour to have it installed. This way I just need to pay labour to have the replacement axle from my 98 put on. The exhaust and the front axle are not need be so those can wait till I'm ready with more money.

Two things I wi do now is 1.) Take pictures of my 98 disco, underneath, panels and everything then ill upload them to a new post. Check it out and let me know if you think other needs more work then the 96 disco.2 I will snap show of the rear axle so you all can see and let me know if it is worthy of putting on the 96.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:23 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your just not understanding... That truck is littered with cancer. Once that starts it's expensive to resolve correctly. On top of that there are serious issues with some of the mechanics, known and unknown (check engine light)... That truck is hardly worth considering as a parts truck... I really dont see much on it savable or reusable. Get it for 500 bucks, use it as a woods truck and just beat the he'll out of it or walk away from it. It's not worth fixing.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:16 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed

Old 03-23-2011, 05:47 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The other school of thought that you seem to embrace is buy it and pump tons of money and work into it. You will have one hell of a rig, but it will be at a hell of an expense. But if you are going to go thru it completely you should have a rig that should last a nice long time, if all goes well.

It's only money, so go for it. After all, who are we to tell you what to do.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:44 PM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default brick wall

I just want to know if you bought that calculator yet?

SMBC---Try taking the emotion out of the equasion for a moment. Most of us own these things because for whatever twisted reasons we love 'em so I bet most of the advice you are getting is sincere and based on expereince. Hell, we love em so much sometimes we get annoyed when we see screwed up Rovers either through neglect or dumbass "repairs".

Add up all the costs we have shown you and whatever costs you can see yourself ALSO doing to the truck... is that amount of cash really worth all the trouble you'll have with this project? combining two rovers into one and hoping for the best...