Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Intake Bolt leaking coolant

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 01:33 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake Bolt leaking coolant

Last intake bolt on passenger side toward front of rover is leaking coolant around it .. Not much leaking but it is leaking. So does this mean I take the bolt out and put sealant on threads and put it back in? Do these bolts need sealant like 3 of the water pump bolts? Any ideas?

Old 12-04-2018, 04:32 PM
Overlanding

So I ordered the intake bolt from Atlantic Britsh and it comes with some type of loctite on the threads already. And I ordered The Right Stuff sealant from Amazon. So I'm going to try this when part comes in. Hopefully I can just take the bolt out Fill hole full of sealant and put new bolt in and torque down. Can anybody verify the torque spec please. I'm thinking I've seen it in a couple places at 38 ft lbs. Is this correct? As with just about anything else I do on this Disco 1 when I fix one thing it usually leads to 3 or 4 other problems.. we shall see...

Old 12-04-2018, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Is that bolt in the thermostat housing?

Old 12-04-2018, 06:11 PM
Winching
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

I would not fill up the hole with right stuff. This will cause you all kinds of issues. First off if it's a blind hole and you fill it run the bolt in and it cures you can damage the aluminum. Second if you ever want to remove that bolt in the future you will have one hell of a time and could snap the head off that bolt. Third if that hole goes in to the water jacket all the right stuff will end up in you cooling system. I would use some thread sealant if that bolt goes in to the water jacket.

Intake manifold bolts-28 ft-lb

Old 12-05-2018, 09:00 AM
Overlanding

I thought That right stuff sealant didn't dry to a hard bond but only a flexible bond and I could remove bolt with no problem... And its intake bolt, not bolt to the thermostat housing. In the pic you can see a little coolant around the bolt head... Maybe I'll just use that flexible grey water gasket sealant from autozone... YEAH, I agree with you about putting the bonding stuff in their. I dont want to permanently bond the bolt to the intake.. I thought I bought the right kind of the right stuff sealant.. I'll have to check the label.. Thanks for the torque spec...

Old 12-05-2018, 02:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 129 Likes on 118 Posts

Use ARP thread sealant NOT right stuff.

Old 12-05-2018, 04:00 PM
Overlanding

I checked the ARP sealant out and it looks like great stuff.. The reviews were really good on Amazon. Thanks DavC!!

Old 12-18-2018, 07:29 PM
Overlanding

So after further investigation I found out the very front edge of my intake manifold was slowly leaking coolant out . Was coming from around the bolt also. No white smoke or coolant in the oil. So i decided to purchase a bottle of K-seal from Amazon. Real simple to use.. In less than 5 min the leak stopped. I will keep monitoring it. Hopefully it doesn't cause any other problems, especially with my heater core.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:09 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

A permanent fix could be as easy as replacing the intake manifold (valley) gasket. It's a job that's just hard enough that you can get frustrated and indulge in some real love/hate emotions with your Rover but not so involved as head gaskets which can really be intimidating for first timers. That said, you're looking at a full afternoon of work and under $100 in total outlay. At least with a new intake manifold gasket, you'll know that you stopped the issue rather than just put bandaids on it.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:06 AM
Overlanding

Thanks for the input. I have already priced the parts for fix and thought about trying it but I have a few things going against me at this time. 1: I have a bad back from an old Marine Corps injury. And I still may have to do it myself and just rough it through the pain... 2: It getting colder and I dont have a heated garage or anyway to provide any heat. 3: As with anything I do on this Rover when I choose to fix one problem then 2 or 3 pop up in its place.. I'll stick with the bandaid fix for now and see how it goes through winter. I dont drive many miles with it. I work 3/4mi away from my home. But my plant is shutting down next Sept and that was a big blow. The love hate relationship you speak of about the Rover is true.. I love tinkering with it and driving it but some of this stuff just busts my *****.. Its so aggravating.. But when you fix something its rewarding. So I love to hate it so I can love it again waiting to hate it some more. Thanks again for your input. I'm patiently waiting for the next issue to rear its ugly head..

Quick Reply: Intake Bolt leaking coolant