Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Intro - New D1 guy from Minneapolis

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 05:22 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, going off-topic: "Off the topic: is it just me or are discos not pleasing to the eye in their stock form? They seem so much nicer with lifts and tires and some body trimming. Maybe it's just me... "

Well, there's no denying that a Disco is a squat brick on wheels. And some of the mods do make the Disco look more bad-***.

But for me (as a 98 stock owner) there are two big appeals to the Disco. One, the stock model has pretty solid off-road performance (clearance, approach angles, CDL), so it meets my needs to access a bunch of FS roads, etc, here in CO, without having to get into mods. ($, hassle)

Two, I kind of like that it isn't visually tricked out like a Transformer or Tonka toy. I just don't like the new FJ Cruisers, or newer pickup truck styles, or the redesigned Jeeps. I like the unassuming stock Disco that can get the job done without screaming "look at me."

Beautiful? Not really. But looks good to me sitting there in the driveway (especially when it runs).

Old 05-24-2013, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

I also love the "stock look" makes it a good sleeper, trimming the front bumper corners and ditching the front lower valence makes a huge difference in looks, and if you add a hidden winch it makes it more than capable imo

Old 05-24-2013, 05:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree that they can look a little humpty dumpty like with stock rims due to the fact the track width is way narrower than the body width.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:30 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

At some point in this trucks past someone hacked the trailer and turn signal wiring harness. Tonight I spent a couple hours rewiring it all and making the signals located in the regular tails. New trailer harness too!

Old 05-25-2013, 07:33 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't get me wrong, the disco is a capable all terrain vehicle. Not a fan of all the pretty boy parts. Just a little trim here and there and a wider/stance with new wheels and some A/T tires and a 2" lift. Gets the job done real nice. Never understood having the engine suck through a straw(snorkel) for daily non needed use, or the winch that has never been unwound. The tow rope in my disco was more then capable of pulling out a jeep YJ and a Nissan pathfinder. I would not trade the disco for anything else, no matter how much it costs me to repair.

Good luck with that wiring, should be pretty straight forward, while your back there inspect the brake light sockets for any signs of melting. Mine did, shorted out, blew the brake light and turn signal fuses, and would not allow the shifter lock to release so it can moved out of park. That was a fun day...

Old 05-25-2013, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

no you don't need a winch or a snorkel, but with the little bit of trail riding I have done so far I pulled myself out with the winch and I have found dried muddy water in the air box so added the snorkel, both were bought new and less then $500 total invested into them( that is for both complete) putting the air intake behind a headlight may be ok of a on street only soccer mom but dumb as hell for trails

I like to be self sufficient and be prepared either way have fun

Old 06-10-2013, 01:50 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Disco

Originally Posted by Optimusglen
Figured I should get on proving that I'm not a spam bot. hah.

Later today I will be picking up my first Land Rover. (Assuming everything goes as planned)

It's a 1995 with the 5-speed manual gearbox.

Few small issues, well aware there are probably bigger ones lurking. Should be a fun project though.

Plan is more of a restoration, I have a more reliable daily driver, and an awesome old motorcycle for the summertime, so it wont get a lot of serious use, but I assure you it'll get lots of attention.
Hey there! I just got a 95 Discovery same color and year like for like. Has more than its share of issues but I've been having a blast driving it up and down the coast here in Cali!

Attached Thumbnails Intro - New D1 guy from Minneapolis-616.jpg