Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Intro - New D1 guy from Minneapolis

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 02:30 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Intro - New D1 guy from Minneapolis

Figured I should get on proving that I'm not a spam bot. hah.

Later today I will be picking up my first Land Rover. (Assuming everything goes as planned)

It's a 1995 with the 5-speed manual gearbox.

Few small issues, well aware there are probably bigger ones lurking. Should be a fun project though.

Plan is more of a restoration, I have a more reliable daily driver, and an awesome old motorcycle for the summertime, so it wont get a lot of serious use, but I assure you it'll get lots of attention.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:20 PM
Rock Crawling

Nice,check out the maintenance list in the d1 section.You found a wealth of information here.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If you need a part quick that is not carried by the usual auto parts store, try Metric Auto Parts in St Paul.

Obviously not as cheap as mail, but can be handy if you need/want something right away.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:49 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome from sunny south Florida. Hope you enjoy your disco.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:54 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome, remember a head gasket job fixes anything. Blown tran, just do a hg job. Won't start, do a hg job.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:16 PM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

did someone say head gaskets? i'm doing em now, expect to do them and about 20 other things that are chronic on these, hope you have mechanic experience or friends that do lol

welcome and have fun there is a ton of knowledge here and some real good people

Old 05-23-2013, 09:56 AM
Drifting

Thanks for the welcome!

Included with the Disco are receipts, including one for a headgasket job done 20k miles ago. That said, repairs don't scare me.

I have significant experience doing all sorts of work on mostly old VW's, BMW's, Volvo's, and an old Audi. I've built 2 cars up from a bare shell (including paint) and was part way into a scratch built project Locost Seven when I decided to jump ship and get this instead. Only thing I've never done is crack a transmission open to R&R.

FIRST order of business on this, fix the shifter. It feels like I'm stirring a box of rocks. Finding gears is quite difficult. Anyone with history on this? I've searched to no avail. Edit: more searching outside of this forum resulted in finding the springs and plate to fix it all up.

SECOND order of business, shifter boot has big hole. When I drive warm air comes rushing in because it looks like a panel is broken down there. Common issue?

Here are a couple better pictures I took this a.m. at work.

Last edited by Optimusglen; 05-23-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:20 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I'm not to sure on the rover setup for the shifter, if its linkages or an isolator bushing in the tower. I know on Trans for the freightliners I work on when the isolator goes bad the shifter is all over the place. Hard to find gears. Off the topic: is it just me or are discos not pleasing to the eye in their stock form? They seem so much nicer with lifts and tires and some body trimming. Maybe it's just me...

Old 05-24-2013, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

re: repairs don't scare me

Bravely spoken....

Old 05-24-2013, 04:00 PM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

The repairs are not scary, they just get monotonous since they seem to be one after another after another after another you get the idea

Quick Reply: Intro - New D1 guy from Minneapolis