Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

iPod / MP3 player integration in a D1

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 08:04 AM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts

no cartridge needed. the screen on the head unit will simply say 'ND' ....no disk.

If I had to do it again I'd...
-- only cut/intercept the audio lines in that 13 wire cable.

-- mount a toggle switch (for audio) and USB charger on the front wall of the inside of the cubby. There is plenty of room.
Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

--- also attach both with 'blade' type connectors (in order to be detached easily) so that I could pull up the center console if needed.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:11 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks Walt. My first inclination was that the cartridge would be required, so i had almost given up!

This is a very basic question, but how do i cycle into CD mode? What i mean is, how does the head unit know that I want the CD to play? When i hit the mode button, my options are only Weather/AM/FM. Tape mode is activated when a cassette is inserted,

So, what tells the head unit to go to CD mode? Is it just the presence of a signal? since i dont need a cartridge this is the only other way i can think of.

Instead of a direct connection that requires my phone to be attached by cable, im going to install a bluetooth receiver/preamp so i can wireless connect to the radio. I have no plan to use the CD player, so i just need an on/off switch. I also am putting a USB port in the cubby. and thanks for the hint about only cutting the audio lines. i was contemplating this, and you have solidified my plan.

Thanks for your feedback, it's very helpful.

johnny

Old 04-02-2018, 10:16 AM
TReK

If your head unit does not cycle through CD mode you may have a problem. Are you sure the CD player is powering up?

Old 04-02-2018, 12:40 PM
Three Wheeling

I just checked the radio and I get:
FM1/FM2/AM/ and what seems to be "NO" .

I went to the CD player in the "NO" mode and pressed what apparently is the eject button and i received a message on the head, so i'm pretty sure the radio is going into CD mode, i just didn't realize it because it says , "NO"..... the "N" is kind of wonky and almost looks like a "W".

So-- and i think you've already answered this, but im kind of slow-- but if i apply signal with the "NO" indicator in CD mode, this mod should work?

I'm thinking that the NVX Bluetooth receiver (2.0V/93 dB output) in the link below is perfect for this application and i can easily splice it in near the radio. If i dont intend on using the CD player, i wont even need the switching function.

https://www.nvx.com/vubt2-universal-...udio-receiver/

thank you again for your help. I'm a long time Series owner and all this modern technology (radios, power steering, coil springs) is new to me.

johnny

Old 04-02-2018, 01:01 PM
TReK

Your 'NO' is what I call "ND" (No Disk). Yes, supply an audio signal and it will play through the existing stereo.

Old 04-02-2018, 01:29 PM
Three Wheeling

Thank you!

I read your first reply again and realized that is exactly what i saw on my head unit!