Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

The joys of fixing mickey moused wiring. Some help required.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2021, 07:45 PM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Red face Update for 4/27/2021, and from last Friday I think it was??

Hello all just a little update and stuff from last week that I had got done. Finally got all the little nicked/spliced/etc wires all fixed, and today got to protecting and wrapping the loom back up. Had two different types of tape from local hardware store, went with the rubber tape, but may put a run of the friction cloth tape on. That will depend on if I think the rubber tape will be good enough and not end up stretching and the wires end up loose from how they are now. Will be the last update for probably a week or so as I am debating on if I should order some new deadening material and redo where the dash is, or just see about securing the pieces that are still there. Any suggestions/thoughts as always are greatly appreciated.

Update from Fri. Main window control wiring fixed as it should be.

Update from Fri. Jury rigging that someone did with the cig lighter wiring. At this point I was unsure if I would ever stop finding wires needing fixed.

Update from Fri. Old cig lighter wiring, big shock, more melted wires.

Update from Fri. Cig lighter wiring fixed, and maybe a lil bit too much extra, but should be fine.

Update from Fri. Stereo wiring, that someone used the type of taps I hate the most. Those pictures are next.

Update from Fri. These buggers were all over, on every stereo wire by main plugs, and various other power wires throughout the loom.

Decided to reuse the black cloth wrap, and green zip ties because black and green :P

Main loom wrapped with rubber tape(may add cloth friction tape later), and offshoots like OBD2, wiring that goes to master window control/etc in black plastic split conduit.

Window wiring secured, that was a pain getting the conduit on and under the carpet.

This was the biggest pain, first to get it semi wrapped, and then to get it back into that housing/whatever it's called, but at least it is back where it belongs.

Figured I would put these up there for anyone who might need some at some point, for reference. Went with the rubber tape, but may put some friction tape on also. Not sure yet.

The following users liked this post:
WaltNYC (04-28-2021)
Old 04-28-2021, 08:22 AM
TReK
Received 439 Likes on 365 Posts

Your patience is impressive.

M3g474rd (04-28-2021)
Old 04-28-2021, 08:17 PM
Mudding
Cool

Originally Posted by WaltNYC
Your patience is impressive.
Thanks, it's I would say my patience would be more sort of. Part reason it has taken this long is many times of getting frustrated, saying things that would make sailors blush, and walking away for awhile. In the past anything major usually ended up in car being sold cheap, or used as a parts car if we had another. Though after many years of learning more and more, and deciding ya know I really liked some of the cars I used to have but got rid of, and if I really like the car I should fix it and treat it right. Wish I had done that with my 79 Firebird(was only v6), but ya live, and learn, and regret it later :P. Also don't mind so much taking my time, as my next auto project is trying to pull a way over torqued crank pulley bolt off my 88 Accord, well and pulling the head to get new valves in, since the timing belt slipped, and my luck isn't good enough that a zero interference motor didn't smash some valves :P

Old 05-21-2021, 09:44 PM
Mudding

Just wanted to post a quick little note, will be posting the finishing touches, and pre putting back together pictures of the wiring here by Tuesday at the latest I hope. Things kinda ground to a halt with my back and shoulder deciding to act up, and waiting on some parts to come for the rebuild of the whole ventilation/ac/blower assembly. Figured may as well since I have the whole thing out anyway :P. Hope you all are having a good week, and have a good weekend.

Old 05-29-2021, 09:28 PM
Mudding
Talking Final Update

Sorry for the delay, messing with repairing small cracks and breaks in the main dash plastic under the vinyl or whatever it is has been well beyond time consuming, and frustrating, but think I finally got it all fixed. Not to factory/collector standards, but enough where it works and doesn't look horrid. Anyway here are the last couple pictures of the finished repairs to the wiring, and just in case anyone is curious yes I used aluminum tape on the sound deadening and the ventilation system assembly seams, because it seemed like a good idea at the time :P. Anyway want to thank you for looking if you got this far, and thank you to those who helped. I do sincerely appreciate it, and do really hope that no one has to go through fixing such horrible mickey mouse jobs, but I am sure there will be others, and hopefully this might help in some small way.

Passenger side wiring, may not look pretty right now, but at least it is repaired and mostly protected as best I could.

And now the only thing left is the dashboard, and then I can put the center console back in. Finally lol

Old 05-30-2021, 01:55 AM
TReK
Received 653 Likes on 559 Posts

It looks like you might have forgot to start with...……..

STEP #1 …

M3g474rd (06-01-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 09:05 AM
Mudding
Talking

Originally Posted by OverRover
It looks like you might have forgot to start with...……..

STEP #1 …

Well normally I do start with that, but I kinda knew it would take more than 20 min. :P. Worst part is I got all the wiring and such fixed, but then noticed quite a few cracks/breaks in the plastic under the dash yesterday so get to glue/plastic epoxy the heck outta spots I can. I really should quit noticing things, then I might be able to get the car back together and running :P