Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Just bought it

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 12:51 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Just bought it

OK........ So I just purchased my first Land Rover. I bought a 96 Disco with 158k on it. Only thing I can tell is wrong with it is needs a new master cylinder, rear pads. There are asthetic issues but hey its 16 years old. The prev. owner had it checked out after the test drive and the LR place said it was in top shape, cept for the MC. So my question to you guiys is how much do I put into it to maintain it as a daily driver, and what would is the maintainence sched? As I will NOT be paying the LR dealership to do my work. Big shocker there.
Also , my 9 year old has seen them with full roof racks and demands we get one. The ones I have found are a bit pricey, any ideas on a better place to obtain one?

Thnx

Old 06-09-2012, 07:04 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

You have a lot of work in front of you.
Go to the top of this section, go into the sticky posted and find the major service list for your D1, and plan on doing it all before you go much further.
Shout if you have any questions.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:15 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats or sympathy are in order. If theses guys can not get you on the road to fun then NOBODY CAN! Follow the list and do it it is worth the time and money.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:16 AM
Winching

Congrats on your first LR.

Most your questions have been answered many many times on the forum. Just do a search for maintenance. Download the RAV manual, many people have links to it right in their signatures. (It's the repair manual)

Roof racks, good luck. They are expensive cause everyone still wants one and used are hard to come by in good shape (see rust). I've had 5 Discoveries now, and still no rack...

First thing I suggest is goto the bank and create a trust fund for the truck. You will need it...

Here is where I buy most my LR stuff (new)

Auto Parts at AutohausAZ - OEM Auto Parts - Discount Replacement Parts, Resources and Car Care Tips

Here is the rebuild kit for the MC $287

Your Parts Search Returned 1 Part(s)

Here is a replacement MC... $256

Your Parts Search Returned 1 Part(s)

Why the kit is more than a replacement? You guess. There are of course a handful for guys that part these out for a living and are wonderful to deal with,

The Parters will save you a huge amount of money.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:07 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome!! I recommend doing the service posted in the sticky. DO NOT LET IT OVER HEAT. The temp gauge pointer tends to be more of a idiot pointer and not very accurate. Perhaps a Ultra gauge to help monitor temps and clear codes should one arise? UltraGauge Automotive Information Center and OBDII Scan Tool
Many people have them and like them. I just bought one for my DII because my DI isn't compatible.
Enjoy your day!

Old 06-09-2012, 08:03 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Congrats. '95 is my favorite year of Discovery.
The master cylinder is part number STC1284. Shop around. Atlantic British has them for $239. New ones on ebay for $209.
Originally Posted by oilspotLR
Perhaps a Ultra gauge to help monitor temps and clear codes should one arise? UltraGauge Automotive Information Center and OBDII Scan Tool
1995 Discos are OBD1, that won't work on it.

Last edited by antichrist; 06-09-2012 at 08:08 PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:46 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drdeadchef
OK........ So I just purchased my first Land Rover. I bought a 96 Disco with 158k on it.

Thnx
Originally Posted by antichrist
1995 Discos are OBD1, that won't work on it.
I thought 96 Discos were OBDII????

Old 06-09-2012, 10:57 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have completelrd my master cylinder change to day. pedal is stif and i am ready to go , right?
well i go off on my first test ride and the throttle feels sluggish, and getting stiifer and stiffer.
it doesn't take long to realize that the brake pedal has NO travel at all and is stiff as a board. i poull over to try and figure it out and about 2 minutes after stopping just lets loose. about another 2-3 miles it happens again,. so i limp it home and cannot figure out what it is. I tried driving agian and when it happened again, i tried removing a vacuum hose to no avail. would you happen to what is happening?
this is very frustarating and i am at a total loss of what to do next.

Phillip

Old 06-10-2012, 07:09 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by drdeadchef
i have completelrd my master cylinder change to day. pedal is stif and i am ready to go , right?
well i go off on my first test ride and the throttle feels sluggish, and getting stiifer and stiffer.
it doesn't take long to realize that the brake pedal has NO travel at all and is stiff as a board. i poull over to try and figure it out and about 2 minutes after stopping just lets loose. about another 2-3 miles it happens again,. so i limp it home and cannot figure out what it is. I tried driving agian and when it happened again, i tried removing a vacuum hose to no avail. would you happen to what is happening?
this is very frustarating and i am at a total loss of what to do next.

Phillip
What is STIFF the throttle or the brakes are locking up? the RAV has a troubleshooting area for each section. It is early and I do not know when one of the experienced guys will be on line. You can read up and see what you find out.
If you have a brake drag the throttle will feel heavy since it is trying to override the brakes.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:21 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by oilspotLR
I thought 96 Discos were OBDII????
They are, I misread the model year.

Quick Reply: Just bought it