Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Just bought it

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 07:53 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my brake pedal is stiff. i can smell the brakes burnung. when i changed the master cylinder i also did a FULL flush of the brake system, i pumped and filled until the fluid was the same color coming out of the bottle. there was some crappy fluid but not near as much as i expected. i really thought it was the brake booster but the vacuum line removed did immediately not release it. i was hoping you guys may have some kinda liil trick i am unaware of.

thanks

Last edited by drdeadchef; 06-10-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:08 AM
Three Wheeling

my brake pedal is stiff . i also can smell burning pads. wheni disconnect the vacuum line it does not relase immediately. when i did the master cylinder i made sure to bleed ALL the old fluid out , everything at all wheels was a light straw color. there was very little discolored or cloudy fluid in the system. i am hoping there is some little trick or nuances i have missed on this , you guys can help me with

Last edited by drdeadchef; 06-10-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:29 AM
Three Wheeling

sorry for the double post slow internet here , i thought the first one didn't go through

Old 06-10-2012, 02:00 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have seen where others changed out the master cylinder with a new but not the correct LR original or true equivalent and they had the same problem. Where did you get the replacement? Is it an aftermarket supposed to be equivalent? or is it a true correct replacement?

Old 06-10-2012, 10:38 PM
Three Wheeling

It is Cardone from advanced auto parts.
I purchased the top of the line one from there.

But alas I learned that the problem is the brake booster
In hunting for more information I learned that the release is not immediate when you disconnect the vacuum line. Due to the set up of the internal workings the booster takes a little time to release all of the tension created by the vacuum. I currently have a totally working Disco with manual brakes. Booster already ordered and on the way as of tomorrow hopefully from British Atlantic.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:52 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drdeadchef
OK........ So I just purchased my first Land Rover. I bought a 96 Disco with 158k on it. Only thing I can tell is wrong with it is needs a new master cylinder, rear pads. There are asthetic issues but hey its 16 years old. The prev. owner had it checked out after the test drive and the LR place said it was in top shape, cept for the MC. So my question to you guiys is how much do I put into it to maintain it as a daily driver, and what would is the maintainence sched? As I will NOT be paying the LR dealership to do my work. Big shocker there.
Also , my 9 year old has seen them with full roof racks and demands we get one. The ones I have found are a bit pricey, any ideas on a better place to obtain one?

Thnx
New roof rack $1000+ for a quality one. You can find them used if you are patient. Check your local Craigslist. I wasn't patient so I paid, but I am happy with my choice Baja Rack

Old 06-10-2012, 10:55 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LeakyDisco
New roof rack $1000+ for a quality one. You can find them used if you are patient. Check your local Craigslist. I wasn't patient so I paid, but I am happy with my choice Baja Rack
I should add that it took me several years of replacing this and that before I felt it was OK (for me) to shell out for a roof rack since the rack does no good if the truck doesn't go or stop safely.