Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Just Bought a Disco 1 and inherited its problems!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 01:13 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Just Bought a Disco 1 and inherited its problems!

Hello all!

First I'd like to say I'm happy to be apart of the Rover family! I just bought a 1995 Disco from my brother. It was a deal I couldn't turn down, but I bought it knowing it has a major problem that HOPEFULLY someone knows about!

The rig's original ignition switch broke and had to be replaced so my brother bought a replacement or 3 and finally got the right one. He couldn't figure out how to get it to work properly. So I went out there to see if I could put it together and get the thing to start given I have more gearhead in me than he does. I could not for the life of me figure out what the issue was. I looked all over the forums and could only find things similar but not exact and the solution information didn't really give me an answer.

So the stats are that it's the 95 Disco 1 Auto Trans with the 3.9
The original ignition switch issue was that the key could actually rotate 360 degrees and would pull out of the ignition very easily. My brother bought a few incorrect ignit. switches and finally bought a used one off of the exact same car. I lined up the wheel lock and secured the headless screws and pluged everything in. The first time I turned it over the accessories came on. but every attempt after that nothing happened.
I may have to replace the battery to be sure, but I did a deep cell charge on the current battery and it should have had enough juice to start it.

From what I read before on some of the disco models there is a internal security and you have to sit and wait with the key in the "on" position until you hear the fuel pump but that didn't work. Also, I read something about a kill switch in the engine compartment and I'm pretty sure I found it but I have no idea what to do with it.

SO, if anyone has a link to an already established thread or has any knowledge of this issue I would greatly appreciate it. I really wanna get out and tear up some trails with this beast!!

Thank you so much!

Old 06-23-2012, 10:06 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The inertia switch is on the fire wall, press the rubber button.
In the DI tech section is a how to replace/repair a ignition switch, that might be the answer you seek.
Is the alarm light on the dash under the stereo flashing?

Old 06-23-2012, 10:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the Land on Landy's. I have found a pint of Guinness works well when working on an electrical problem.
You will find that Sike555 is correct 99% of the time. the other 1% is where the Guinness comes in. Download the RAV and use the troubleshooting it does work well. But I bet this one is in the Spike555 99%

Old 06-23-2012, 10:40 PM
4wd Low

Hahahaha more like a case of Guinness! And the red light goes on and off... I did locate the inertia switch and I puched it, but now when I turn it over noting happens. I don't here a fuel prime and no accessories come on. I'm commissioning a mechanic friend, I just hope he can figure it out before he gets frustrated and leaves. lol thanks for the info i'm gonna head that way and study!

Old 06-24-2012, 09:33 AM
Team Owner

I HATE electrical problems.
It could be a alarm issue, that is what I am leaning towards right now, how fast is the light on the dash flashing?
Slow and steady or very rapid?

Old 06-24-2012, 08:41 PM
4wd Low

The little red light will stay on constant for a while until something changes, like opening or closing the driver door, and then it will turn off... or turn back on. it's really inconsistent. Haven't had time off of work yet to actually start on it yet!

Old 06-24-2012, 08:52 PM
Team Owner

The alarm is tripped.
With all doors/hood closed using the key in the drivers door lock/unlock it 3 times.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:03 PM
Rock Crawling

Welcome, the worst and the best all in one vehicle. Over engineered and well under engineered. This will provide you with hours and hours of fun and frowns. Blood sweat and tears.

Have fun

Old 06-24-2012, 10:05 PM
4wd Low

If that is seriously the fix, i'm going to do a backflip while shooting off roman candles and sing free bird. I seriously thought this was going to be a costly and painfully long fix. Hopefully everything else on the truck is still doing well because it's had a lot of work done. I have the receipts from the last owner and his two grand in overhaul on the engine. A 3" lift, BFG All-Terrains on off-road wheels and an ARB front bumper. It used to have an amazing roof rack but my brother sold it... i don't even think they make them anymore so I'm sad.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:33 PM
4wd Low

Doing a Test to see if my profile updates worked* Call it a bump

Quick Reply: Just Bought a Disco 1 and inherited its problems!