Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Just did camel cut AND mud flap question

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010 | 01:59 PM
|
Pro Wrench
Default Just did camel cut AND mud flap question

In preparing for my 255/85/16 [I might order them any second or wait a month.] I did the camel cut. Ill grab some pictures if you wish. I measured 4.5CM from the bottom of the wheel well and then took a ruller and drew the line up to where seemed right. I then grabbed a hand saw and quickly gave up [I was trying to start from the top and go down.] Today I just HAD to do it, I had a friend who has one of them vibrating cutting things, or a metabo but I couldn't wait.

I heard that a sawsall wouldn't work, but its all I had so I grabbed it and went to town. Starting from the bottom was much easier, though the panel did vibrate quite a bit I used my leg to keep it somewhat still. Passenger side first finished, in the process the panel started to rip but it was only about 1cm impossible to notice and you can tell if you look really close where the paint started to burn a itty bitty bit. The drivers side went perfectly. These dont bother me, they will either be covered up by a bumper one day OR hurculined.

ANYWAYS.. While doing this mod I noticed my passenger side mud flap is ready to go. Where are some good places to order these cheap? I dont need the little mountains either.

Old 11-25-2010 | 04:27 PM
Team Owner

I am in the process of making my own mud flaps.
I have a old mud flap from a dump truck and I am cutting it to shape and then going to bolt it into place.
I just need a new drill to drill out the old rivets.

Old 11-25-2010 | 10:40 PM
Three Wheeling

I have some brand new, non-mountain but heavy Disco mud flaps I'll sell you. $25 shipped. I bought them but then changed direction with my truck.
PM or email me if interested.

Please post pictures of the Camel cut as I have not been able to find instructions.

Cheers!

Old 11-26-2010 | 07:30 PM

Yeah, so us some pics.

Old 11-26-2010 | 08:00 PM
Overlanding
Old 11-27-2010 | 12:52 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Spike555
I am in the process of making my own mud flaps.
I have a old mud flap from a dump truck and I am cutting it to shape and then going to bolt it into place.
I just need a new drill to drill out the old rivets.
Thats exacly what mine are made with. Work great and cheap. Most any truckstop have the mud flaps for about $25 and you can cut 4 disco flaps out of one truck mud flap. All you need is an old one for a template and a sharp razor knife.

Old 11-27-2010 | 03:40 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Long Haul
Thats exacly what mine are made with. Work great and cheap. Most any truckstop have the mud flaps for about $25 and you can cut 4 disco flaps out of one truck mud flap. All you need is an old one for a template and a sharp razor knife.
I got mine for free, its off of a dump truck.
But yeah, 4 Disco flaps out of one semi mud flap and its a hell of alot better quality too.
I am thinking of making my rears alittle longer and then using chain to hold them up like on the Dakar Rally trucks.

Old 11-27-2010 | 04:10 PM
|
Pro Wrench

Thanks for the suggestions.. Ill go pick up a db antenna and mud flap at a truck stop tonight.

Heres the camel cut.. as I said.. I just used a flat edge to draw a line.. From the bottom of the wheel well [before it folds in] measure 4.5cm to the rear of the vehicle and make your mark. Then using the straight edge make a line to where the angle of the arch matches your straight edge. Makes sense?

The length of the cut if it helps anyone was 7"

Name:  IMG_0203.jpg
Views: 853
Size:  47.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0215.jpg
Views: 1162
Size:  166.0 KB

Old 11-27-2010 | 05:46 PM
Team Owner

Ouch man!! I couldn't do that.

Old 11-27-2010 | 05:55 PM
|
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Spike555
Ouch man!! I couldn't do that.
Why not its just a truck.. Oh well since you dont plan on running bigger tires I wouldn't do it either!

Quick Reply: Just did camel cut AND mud flap question