Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

key turns the ignition lock cylinder freely

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 01:54 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Default key turns the ignition lock cylinder freely

I think my STC1436 is broken. If I turn the key, it just spins the cylinder without engaging the switches. If I press firmly in and turn I seem to be able to engage the broken switch and turn the ignition and then starter on. After I start the car, the key can be pulled out and the car continues to run. Turning the engine and ignition off requires the same sort of pushing in to engage the broken nub in there. I thought this was an amusing experience in Rover quality and wanted to share it.

I'm not about to pay for a new lock if they're upwards of $649. I'll just keep adapting to its quirks and if I have to it'll get an on-switch and a start button.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:29 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Get a used one and swap parts. The lock in mounted with shear bolts... use a good set of pliers to grab the remaining part of the head to undo the bolt. It's really not hard at all to switch your cylinder with the used one. Alternatively you can re-key the used cylinder, but it's a bit ..., better just switch the cylinders.
Or not switch the cylinders, install the used switch assembly and use the used key... for the doors use the key fob.
The problem with your present condition is that the steering lock can engage while you are driving ... unlikely but very possible.
I have a spare one .. I'll look at the part tomorrow.
SD

Old 10-26-2012, 05:07 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced the ignition switch on my truck last weekend. My key would not turn, I considered doing the mod listed in the tech section, modifying the tumbler. I ended up finding a Disco on Craigslist being parted and scored the ignition and door locks for a good price. It was very easy to replace, now my truck starts