Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Keys

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 08:21 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by honda50r
I do, my Disco's door locks like to freeze, nearly bending the key every morning, the rubber head certainly works. Plus, it's more legit, duh
You need to lube your locks with silicone spray.
Also keep the can in your house so it is warm, if your locks are frozen in the morning spray the warm silicone spray into the lock, it will unfreeze it as well as displace the water to keep it from freezing again.
Also if you are going to wash your truck during the winter do it in the morning while the sun it out, it will help keep it from freezing at night.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:24 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by alpinacsi
Something to think about is that most of the replacement keys will be nickel coated brass and will not be as durable as the original Land Rover key. Most all of the hardware stores will not have the better keys as they are difficult to cut and will put excessive load on their cutting equipment. If you look at the factory keys; you will notice the consistant color in the cut are but the hardware store keys will have the brass showing in the cuts.

I would prefer the stainless steel key for about $10 but then you have to find a locksmith to cut it for you. You might be able to get one already cut from the dealer for a reasonable amount. I have purchased several keys for '70s and '80s BMWs from the dealer and have paid between $15 and $30 each for them. I had to show proof of ownership and they would provide an original key ready to use in a few days time.
Who cares what the key looks like? I dont wear my key as a piece of jewelry to show off to others.
Some of us work for a living and cant get to the dealer to get a OEM key made, I not only work for a living, I cant get to the dealer's service dept during business hours and I just do give a rats *** what color my key is, does it work? Good enough for me.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:42 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd probably get the premium or genuine ones as a primary and secondary and a couple cheap ones as spares. That's just me though, and spike will get all cheap ones because that's what he wants. Nothing wrong with that.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:10 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Who cares what the key looks like? I dont wear my key as a piece of jewelry to show off to others.
Some of us work for a living and cant get to the dealer to get a OEM key made, I not only work for a living, I cant get to the dealer's service dept during business hours and I just do give a rats *** what color my key is, does it work? Good enough for me.
Don't believe I ever mentioned looks as a vanity thing: if you were to notice what I wrote, it was a strength concern and my description was only to identify materials used.

Glad to know that you work for a living just as I do. I have also found that having the right and/or proper tools can save time and money. A broken key, expecially in the cylinder, can cost considerable time and money.

Last edited by alpinacsi; 12-14-2011 at 10:13 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Another issue for concern in having keys replicated is that each copy will be less accurate than the original. So a copy of a worn copy might be very different than the original or a replacement created from the VIN.

I guess that I am very fortunate to have the 2 original keys for mine after 220k miles with very minor wear on either. I could only imagine what a nicklel plated brass key would look like after this amount of use.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:11 PM
Team Owner

You guys totally missed the point of this thread.