Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Keys Breaking Off In Door Lock, That's Twice Now.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 10:09 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Keys Breaking Off In Door Lock, That's Twice Now.

Wife's key fob remote is on the fritz, and is reluctant to go to the dealer to spend the money to program a new one. Twice in the past couple of years, the key has broken off in the drivers door lock. The first time we thought it was a fluke. The second time has me thinking there's a pattern. The lock could probably stand a little lubrication, but I'm not convinced that's the problem. I have to wonder if we have one of those lock combinations that create a key with weak spots because the cuts are so deep, or if the blanks just aren't particularly strong to begin with. All I can say is thank goodness it hasn't broken off in the ignition yet. Anybody else had this problem?

For future reference, a neat little trick to remove the key from the lock is to take a small, thin saw blade like that from a coping saw, orient it so that when you hold it the teeth are pointed back toward you hand, then break off the far end where the teeth stop with a pair of pliers. The high tensile steel usually snaps off cleanly. Now slide it into the lock along side the key shaft next to the cuts, twist slightly so the teeth on the saw can lock the cutouts on the key, and pull. Cheaper than a locksmith, and easier than disassembling the door panel and pushing it out from the back side.

Old 01-25-2014, 01:36 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my oem key snap off a couple months ago. Dismantled and retrieved it. Had a shop cut me 4 new ones from the tumbler. Keys wouldn't work in the ign or doors until I used graphite powder. That stuff is amazing. Not sure if it will help you but it made a WORLD of difference in my rig.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:01 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like yours broke in the door as well. I also discovered you can push the broken key shaft all the way through the cylinder. I checked all the keys and they are all OEM Valeo brand, so not cheap copies. They are breaking where the cut outs are severe, and the door lock is stiffer than I thought. All that plus the fact the key shaft is longer than standard contributed to it breaking. Moral is lube the lock actuating arms and replace the remote fob.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:16 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I fixed my key fob the day my key snapped. Just needed the contacts resoldered. That graphite powder I used in all key holes and the ign tumbler. So much easier to turns and retrieve the key. Anyway. Glad you got it situated.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:59 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Darn Key

I use something from Krown Rust Control, it should be across Canada
They sell an amazing lubricant... I think it's called K45... it's been so long since I've had to use it.
The keys are cut too deep. I still have the original key that I keep to make copies since a copy of a copy will leave me with teeth cut in too deep and the key bends and breaks too easily.
The original keys are made of steel, the blanks from the key centers are made of something softer than steel.
The hacksaw blade trick is good to know for when the key breaks in the ignition lock... I should make one and keep it in the glove compartment for future use, thanks

SD