Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Leaky Roof...

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2021, 01:36 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Leaky Roof...

Hello guys and gals:

So I've got a 98 D1. After a week of heavy rains, it's leaking in the following places:
  • Around the rear sunroof controls.
  • Near the rear hatch hinge
  • The driver's side a-pillar
oof. Is the first step to just yank out the headliner and get a better look? From there, will the leaking areas/problems be fairly easy to identify? New Rover 'mechanic' here, sorry for any ignorance on my part!

Old 12-29-2021, 05:44 PM
TReK
Received 471 Likes on 388 Posts

Yes, pull the headliner (now would be a good time to install new material. There are cheap option on eBay.

Rear sunroof likely needs a new gasket as does the rear cargo door. Seek out a gasket from a D2 for the door, they are better.

The A pillar could very well be a leaky windshield. That is quite a bit more tricky to deal with depending on your findings

Old 12-29-2021, 07:32 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by mshka
Hello guys and gals:

So I've got a 98 D1. After a week of heavy rains, it's leaking in the following places:
  • Around the rear sunroof controls.
  • Near the rear hatch hinge
  • The driver's side a-pillar
oof. Is the first step to just yank out the headliner and get a better look? From there, will the leaking areas/problems be fairly easy to identify? New Rover 'mechanic' here, sorry for any ignorance on my part!
Seal the sunroofs completely. They will never be functional again and were crap from day 1. The rear door hinge is likely a leak at the door gasket. Check that. The drivers side a pillar is likely where the rain rail meets the window moulding. Check that and seal.

The following users liked this post:
JohnZo (12-29-2021)
Old 12-29-2021, 09:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 227 Likes on 196 Posts
Default Head Liner rot

I like the youtube Britannica Restorations videos, very funny and educational. He simply caulks the Rover sun roofs because "they all leak". I got rid of an annoying high speed whistle when I caulked mine. I used Stick and Peel caulk in case I changed my mind, but I'm not going to change my mind, so a good permanent weather and UV resistant clear silicon caulk can be used. I spent a lot of time trying to fix the sun roofs before I sealed them up.

Drivers A pillar could be coming from the sun roof too, that's where the drain tube runs down. Bear Mach Trailfitter videos are also very educational, but not quite as hilarious as Britannica. Sun roof leaking also causes the headliners foam to rot and the cloth to fall down. Good luck patching things up.

Last edited by JohnZo; 12-29-2021 at 09:16 PM. Reason: More info
Old 12-30-2021, 01:29 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stillruns
Seal the sunroofs completely. They will never be functional again and were crap from day 1. The rear door hinge is likely a leak at the door gasket. Check that. The drivers side a pillar is likely where the rain rail meets the window moulding. Check that and seal.
What would you recommend to use as a sealant?

Old 12-30-2021, 07:14 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by mshka
What would you recommend to use as a sealant?
I believe there have been good results with black Permatex RTV for sunroof. These sunroofs were a really bad design and they all leak because the gaskets and glass and housing warp and fail over time. Causing gaps which let water in. I am going to seal mine one day soon permanently but for now I just don't drive it when it rains. It is a second vehicle for me.
You can also use the permatex to fill any spots where the rain rail meet the rubber gasket up by the drivers and passengers front a pillar. A lot of times there is an opening or a gap that allows water in and it will run down inside.
Water is a threat to the D1's because it causes mold and rot. Take your time, find the openings and apply according.

Old 12-30-2021, 10:07 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 227 Likes on 196 Posts

I found a DAP product at Home Depot I bought but haven't applied yet. It's called UltraClear Flexible All Purpose Waterproof Sealant made for roofing, windows, and doors. It can be applied to wet and cold surfaces. The key will be surface prep to clean the surfaces really well. I used compressed air and Windex and a bunch of rags to muck out all the dirt.