Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Leaky Water pump/gasket

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 12:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Leaky Water pump/gasket

have a leak, appears to be coming from behind the water pump. I can see the coolant driping/light steady stream off the inlet spout(where to lower radiator hose attaches to), but appears to be coming from behind the water pump and flowing down the inlet.

Think it is just the gasket? Usually, if the pump itself leaks, it's at the bearing/shaft, right? Is there anything else around the pump area that could leak?

Is the pump really as easy as it looks? Remove shroud/fan/belt then take off & replace?

Does this look too good a deal to be true? Most places I checked were $100 more than this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1994-...item20ad08c01eI

Last edited by kenk; 07-29-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle

It was leaking only when running, but now it is also when just sitting.

Last edited by kenk; 07-29-2010 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:44 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just bought one from Trevor over at RovaFarm for around 80 bucks plus shipping. Not as cheap as the one you found but much cheaper than anywhere else I found and I know it is reliable. Trevor has a good reputation. If you are unsure about that one you might consider giving him a call.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Yea, I gotta get a few other things from him anyway. Whats nice is where I live, if he ships today(fri), its on my doorstep by monday.

And I was not lucky enough to be just the gasket, I found the weep hole(horizontally out the passenger side of the pump, just above the inlet) and that is where the coolant is coming from sure enough.

Bt the way, what did you use to seal the long pump bolts? Rave says to use loctite thread sealer, which is pretty pricey and I will prob never use again. I was thinkin of using teflon tape.

Last edited by kenk; 07-30-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:11 PM
Winching

Haven't got that far yet. I am still waiting on mine to come in. I ordered on Mon but Trevor was out of town until today (according to a phone message when I called to check status of my order). Soon as it ships and comes in I will be in the same place as you. Can you not get said locktite at the auto parts store? I saw the same thing in the RAVE and assumed I could get it at AutoZone. Guess I better check into it. I am going to go ahead and do a rad flush and replace my thermostat at the same time. Might as well do it while everything is drained.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:10 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The job bills out at 1.2 hours, so yes, it is as easy as it looks.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Autozone does not have it(loctite threadsealer), or anything like it. Advanced auto has a permatex version of it. It is only $6, but for a 6 ml tube. Depending how many long bolts there are, that might be enough. The loctite when i googled it, was only being sold in 60ml bottles for $20.

How ironic, I called and ordered the pump from rovahfarm today. Trevor said he just sent one out, and the one I bought was the last he had in stock 'til next week.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:22 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Any thread lock will work.
Rover used Loc-Tite on everything except the valve cover bolts, they came from the factory leaking.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:13 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Spike555
Rover used Loc-Tite on everything except the valve cover bolts, they came from the factory leaking.
LMAO Spike.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Spike555

But they call for thread sealer(think plumbing), as the long pump bolts break into a water cavity and need sealed.

Advanced has permatex hi-temp thread sealer, and it's cheap, but you have to let it sit for a minimum of 24hrs to cure. I would use pipe tape, but I'm afraid of pieces of it floating around when the bolts go in and some of it comes off.

Quick Reply: Leaky Water pump/gasket