Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

LED lamps for switches?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015 | 08:40 AM
|
Rock Crawling
Default LED lamps for switches?

Does anyone sell LED versions of those tiny little lamps (bulbs and bases) for the switches?

BTW, don't believe the manual whan it says you turn those little buggers 90 degrees to remove them - I turned the first one 90 degrees and broke off part of the tiny base so it doesn't lock now. They only turn about 45 degrees and then I had to work most of them out with small pocket knife blade point.

Old 04-09-2015 | 08:59 AM
Camel Trophy

I think Radio Shack has replacement bulbs, not sure it they're LED or not.

The following users liked this post:
philwarner (04-09-2015)
Old 04-09-2015 | 09:38 AM
|
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by fishEH
I think Radio Shack has replacement bulbs, not sure it they're LED or not.
I never thought of radio shack. I'll give that a try, Thanks

Old 04-09-2015 | 12:22 PM
Camel Trophy

Radio Shock had the tiny solder on LEDs for the stock radio face, I replaced a couple of those for backlighting so I could see it at night. I would've removed those tiny switch bulbs from the 95 before it hit the crusher.......

Old 04-09-2015 | 12:47 PM
|
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by ihscouts
Radio Shock had the tiny solder on LEDs for the stock radio face, I replaced a couple of those for backlighting so I could see it at night. I would've removed those tiny switch bulbs from the 95 before it hit the crusher.......
I did, along with the switches, but most of the green illumination ones are burned out. The 95 had 180K miles and my 98 has 171K miles - guess they both had enough night time driving to use up the illumination lamp life along with the AC snowflake "On" lamps too.

Perhaps someone can tell me if the fog lights have to be hooked up for the fog switch's "on" lamp to light. Both of the fog switch's lamps have continuity, but the orange one does not light up when the switch is pushed in. (my fog lights themselves are toast).

I did discover that the turn signals don't work unless the hazzard switch is plugged it - bugged the heck out of me until I ticked off the list of "what have I done since they were last working" and plugged it back in. I had left it out until I can get a clock lamp, so I replugged them both and pushed the unit in with business cards above and below so it won't latch in place.

I checked the radio shack web site and see nothing in 12 volts that resembles those tiny bulbs and holders. Guess I'll still stop by and ask, though.

Old 04-09-2015 | 01:15 PM
Baja

These are the replacements for the clock. They work great! And fit D1 and D2.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...-led/223/1036/

philwarner (04-09-2015)
Old 04-09-2015 | 02:23 PM
|
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by abran
These are the replacements for the clock. They work great! And fit D1 and D2.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...-led/223/1036/

Thanks, if the ones i ordered from eBay don't fit, I'll order a couple of these and have two working clocks.

One thing I didn’t think to get fron the 95 that that I now wish I had was a connector or two for the switches in the dash pod so I could use one to wire a manual headlight washer switch using the rear washer push switch from the 95 in the blank spot left of the 98’s front fog light switch. If anyone has any clipped off connectors for these switches I could use one or two; I figure it may be awhile before Bro-in-Law finds another Disco.

Old 04-09-2015 | 03:30 PM
Camel Trophy

Back when I first bought my Disco I visited the bone yard often because there was always a few LR's there including DII's. I snapped all the hard to find parts including those switches with bulbs, relays, fuses and other electrical doo dads.

Rovahfarm has them.

Green are STC1878 @ $3.50 ea.
Orange are STC1877 @ $3.09 ea.

Old 04-09-2015 | 08:04 PM
Baja

Originally Posted by philwarner
Thanks, if the ones i ordered from eBay don't fit, I'll order a couple of these and have two working clocks..
Make sure the ones you get don't have a round bulb with an LED in it. The flat mount LED is the one. I bought some of eBay that had the round bulb style LED and they ended up illuminating the center of the clock display brighter than the outer edges.

philwarner (04-11-2015)
Old 04-11-2015 | 05:11 PM
|
Rock Crawling
Default clock LED lamps

Originally Posted by abran
Make sure the ones you get don't have a round bulb with an LED in it. The flat mount LED is the one. I bought some of eBay that had the round bulb style LED and they ended up illuminating the center of the clock display brighter than the outer edges.
The eBay lamps came today and right you are! after having to snip some off the tabs and squeeze them together to let them go through the slots and figuring out which is negative and positive on the lamps and on the PC flap, the domed ones I bought do light the center of the clock and leave the edges darker. I'll be ordering the flat ones you recommended.

Quick Reply: LED lamps for switches?