Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Lift going on in 2 weeks

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 10:55 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift going on in 2 weeks

Due to a failure of my left rear shock (oh darn!) I am going to have to replace my entire suspension. At least that is what I am telling my wife.

Well that and there is no point in putting 1 stock shock on when I want to do the lift anyway..

So here is the point of my post. As I am being forced to do this on a kind of tight budget I am asking advice from you guys. I have already figured on getting the terrafirma 2" HD lift as I am going to be using my disco for expedition purposes in the next 2 years (unless someone can tell me of a better deal on a HD lift).

Would you put on stainless steel brake lines at the same time knowing you are on a budget? I have 180k plus on my vehicle and the brakes feel a little soft to me. I know I am properly bled and it almost feels like the softness could be brake line flex.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:01 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would be replacing the brake hoses if it were me. At that milage if they are original theyre shot.....they will be fine length wise but you cant be too safe.

I love your excuse to lift it, you dont know how many times Ive used that LOL.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd do em too, for $125, there's no down side and a lot of upside. You get the length so if you want to go bigger later you already have the brake length, PLUS you get the guaranteed firmer brake pedal (or at least guaranteed not to balloon). They're pretty high up on my list too

Old 09-22-2011, 01:32 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd do it, and get the longer stainless braided lines.(for posterities sake)

Old 09-22-2011, 01:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Where are you guys looking for the kit? I found them at AB for $99.95 on sale right now. (The raised suspension kit)

Old 09-22-2011, 01:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle

lucky eight has extended stainless for 125$ everyday low price

http://lucky8llc.com/Products.aspx?ProductID=2781

Old 09-22-2011, 02:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Brad, get the ones form AB, they're 25$ cheaper, unless you're their sworn mortal enemy like danny is, then get them from lucky 8.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:07 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Or maybe we will all be lucky and they will decide to award someone another $25 certificate like they recently did.

Maybe Paul Grant has a set available?

I replaced my suspension and shocks quite a while back. Another local Rover Owner made me a great deal on a set of heavy duty OME springs for the rear of mine that he had bought and never installed. We moved the original rear springs to the front as Rob told me that he had done that before and that it was common practice. Mine has worked out fine doing it that way. It sits level and rides great. With it empty, if I go over a speed bump too fast, the rear does bounce. The HD springs definitely made a big difference. I can load it heavily and it does not sag.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:39 PM
Rock Crawling

I am not considering a lift right now, but perhaps I will in the future....

However, I might need some new shocks. Can I go ahead with the +2 shocks on a non lifted Disco? Or will they be too long?

Old 09-22-2011, 05:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by turf63
Brad, get the ones form AB, they're 25$ cheaper, unless you're their sworn mortal enemy like danny is, then get them from lucky 8.
For me it is all about budget. I would love to find a place that sells the Terra firma pro sport 2 HD kit and the stainless lines. Less in shipping. As of now I am looking at rovers north for the kit and AB for the stainless.

Quick Reply: Lift going on in 2 weeks