Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Light switch??

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 08:36 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Light switch??

Would the light switch from a 2001 disco fit my 1997 disco??

Old 02-22-2011, 08:38 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 02-22-2011, 05:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

yep they're the same

Old 02-22-2011, 09:57 PM
Overlanding

Thanx! Before I buy one should I check the one thats on there now to see if its fixable? The problem is that when I turn the switch all the way the headlights turn on and the rest of the lights turn off. To keep everything on I have to slightly turn the switch back. Is this fixable or not?

Old 02-22-2011, 11:47 PM
Overlanding

Something that would be awesome: an entire vehicle parts interchange chart thing that has DIs and DIIs and which parts can be used on both.

I don't know of anything like that, but it could be pretty helpful. . .

Old 02-22-2011, 11:49 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by fefo25
Thanx! Before I buy one should I check the one thats on there now to see if its fixable? The problem is that when I turn the switch all the way the headlights turn on and the rest of the lights turn off. To keep everything on I have to slightly turn the switch back. Is this fixable or not?

I had an issue where only one high beam would come on. I took the switch off the stalk and disassembled it. Be careful to do it slowly, because a spring will pop out, and the guts go in a certain way. I scrubbed all the contacts with a wire brush until they were shiny. I reassembled, put it in, and it worked. As long as you don't have spots that burned out, a good cleaning should work. If spots have melted, etc...you need to find a new switch.

Overall, it took about an hour or so.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:13 AM
Overlanding

Is it anything like the seat switches?

When I took mine apart, I had a small heart attack when ball bearings and springs went everywhere. Got it back together after scrubbing the contacts just like you said above.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:47 AM
Recovery Vehicle

the headlight switch is not even close to the intricacy of the seat switch, the seat switch will take most people a good hour just to put back together (even being careful) the light switch can usually be removed, cleaned, and reinstalled in about half that time. I agree that sometimes it can be cleaned up but not always (and sometimes it doesn't last long) one downside to cleaning it is you will clean off all the dielectric grease which is pretty necessary to its operation, so you may want to get some to replace it. Be sure to check the wires in the plugs as sometimes they can be the problem.

I don't know how much you are spending on a new/used switch but if you are interested I can give you a pretty cheap fix (under $20)

Old 02-23-2011, 01:56 PM
Overlanding

gotta love parts cars! Fefo25, i'd jump on Chris's offer if I were you...

Old 02-23-2011, 06:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle

to fefo25, when I bought my truck a few years back I had the exact same problem as you. Unfortunately I bought it during the day and while test driving it I did not think about checking the lights (who would right?), so I used my extensive knowledge of electronic circuits and components to wire in a relay to act as a secondary switch, I still use the original switch to "trigger" my relay so on the outside nobody would ever know I modified it because it works just like a normal rover switch! it literally will require a relay, a handful of connectors, and a few wires to make it work maybe $10-$20 and I can explain how to wire it up.

Quick Reply: Light switch??