Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Light Switch Stalk, Brake Booster, Window Reg

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 11:16 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Light Switch Stalk, Brake Booster, Window Reg

Im about to replace all 3 of the parts mentioned in thread title.....Looking for any tips or suggestions from anyone thats done any (or all) of these. Its nearly impossible to get anyone around here to actually work on my D1 so im starting to do it all myself......so any help from you guys would be GREATLY appreciated.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:00 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by kog50
Im about to replace all 3 of the parts mentioned in thread title.....Looking for any tips or suggestions from anyone thats done any (or all) of these. Its nearly impossible to get anyone around here to actually work on my D1 so im starting to do it all myself......so any help from you guys would be GREATLY appreciated.
Good idea, esp if you want it done right.
The light stalk is easy. Two screws on the steering wheel shroud and two to remove the stalk IIRC.
Never done the brake booster.
The window regulator is easy-ish. Get yourself a panel popper.
Also download the RAVE, it will make things MUCH easier.

The following users liked this post:
RogueRoverOne (02-25-2017)
Old 06-04-2012, 01:55 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just did the drivers side regulator. Very simple, just take your time and expect some of the pop rivits to break. Any question feel free to ask.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:06 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by bcbp
I just did the drivers side regulator. Very simple, just take your time and expect some of the pop rivits to break. Any question feel free to ask.
Thanks!....I will proly take you up on that when I get satrted. Also, about to work on downloading Rave.

Thanks guys

Old 06-05-2012, 10:15 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Get yourself plenty of PB Blaster and spray all bolts nuts and such a few days in advance and allow it to soak in and repeat. This will make everything come apart easier.

Look it all over very closely in advance and expect to find additional gremlins as you work on one thing, be prepared to do a lot more than you initially started to do.

Have you done a basic fluid and filter change yet?

Plugs & wires?

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 07-06-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:16 PM
Overlanding

fluids, fuel and oil filter change when I first got it......about 1500 miles ago.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:33 AM
Overlanding

OK, its taken a while but I just replaced the light stalk....super easy and fixed my problem. I'd like to mention that I got it (used) from Rover Bones at a 1/4 of the cost new....pretty pumped about it.
Next is the Brake Booster, i've done some reading and looked at about 100 times, it looks pretty straight forward. My question is, will I need to bleed the brakes afterward if Im not removing any lines from master cylinder? again any help is appreciated.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:32 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^Curious, what are your brake symptoms?

Old 06-28-2012, 11:33 AM
Overlanding

Loud "hissing" sound when I press brakes. Brakes still work.....somewhat. After i drive for a while the pedal will get deeper and deeper. Its scared me a couple times....as u could imagine. Like I mentioned before, its hard to get anyone to work on my DI so this is self diagnosed. But all the reading I've done makes it sound like its the booster, so we shall see. Im trying to give updates to problems I've brought to this forum, so i'll let you know how it turns out.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:39 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by bcbp
what did you do about borken rivets? im assuming your talking about the plastic ones? can they be replaced with common replacements or am I gonna have to order some? Also, the replacement regulator im putting in is used (trying to save a dollar wherever I can) what can I do as far as lubbing the bushings and such before the install?

Quick Reply: Light Switch Stalk, Brake Booster, Window Reg