Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

locking diff on D1?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 12:20 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default locking diff on D1?

I've ran lockers, Mini-Spools, and welded spiders in various forms on my previous rigs. the most mild mannered I have had on the road was a '76 Blazer with a full time T-case similar to the LR. I went cheap and welded the spiders to the carrier because it was only going to be a trail rig.....however the fulltime T-case made it very drivable on the road.

That being said, I am not worried about locking my 99 Disco 1. I am leaning towards a detroit rear and tru-trac front.....this seems to be a very popular combo around here. Is there any reason to not run Tru-Tracs both front and rear on a D1? Anybody make a spool or mini-spool for LandRovers? any of you ran welded spiders or spool/mini-spools in the rear with a Tru-Trac up front?

thanks for any input!

advntrjnky

Old 03-19-2011, 01:05 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say run the Detroit in the rear and an Aussie in the front.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:09 AM
Three Wheeling

Is the Aussie you are talking about the LRB? I have never run one and am leary about something that takes air to engage/ disengage. I know they've been around a long time, just not something I am willing to run....now if Ox-Lock made a cable locker for Land Rovers I would consider that. I like 100% mechanical function....had too many solenoids/ etc. go bad over the years.

advntrjnky

Old 03-20-2011, 09:31 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I dont know of anyone that makes a spool for these. You are kinda limited on different lockers on these but it seems like more options are coming out everyday.
If it helps I'm running ARB's front an rear and I have locked the rear on pavement an drove it without any drivabilaty problems, just hops and squeels the tires in tight parking spots. I have also heard guys running TrueTracks front and rear on these and the only complaint is understeer so no problems doing that either just takes a little adjustment on driving style. RoverTracks makes a setup so you can run Toyota diffs with the electric locker or what ever locker you can get to fit the Toyota diffs.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:53 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by advntrjnky
Is the Aussie you are talking about the LRB? I have never run one and am leary about something that takes air to engage/ disengage. I know they've been around a long time, just not something I am willing to run....now if Ox-Lock made a cable locker for Land Rovers I would consider that. I like 100% mechanical function....had too many solenoids/ etc. go bad over the years.

advntrjnky
No, the aussie does not use air to engage/disengage. Thats the ARB you are referring too.

Home page - Aussie Lockers - Welcome to Torq Masters Home of the Aussie Locker

Nevermind it doesn't look like they make one for Land Rovers. I had one in my Wrangler and it worked perfect both on and off road.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:07 PM
Three Wheeling

I have used Lock Right lockers.....very similar to Aussie you mentioned and the first one of its type on the market. I had very good luck with it! I couldn't tell the difference between it and my buddies detroit for hook-up or performance. That was in a couple of GM 12bolt rears.....makes me wonder if the cross pin/carrier on the LR isn't strong enough?

a buddy of mine used them in front and rear Dana 30s on his CJ-8 running 35" boggers and a mild 360 v8......axle hopped once on full hook up and exploded the rear drive shaft and both front axle joints......makes me think that a solid locking diff isn't the way to go in the front of a Disco 1 either. granted my 4.0 won't have that amount of torque and I'll be running 33" tires.

advntrjnky

Old 03-20-2011, 12:41 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I have run a rear Detroit in the rear with a T.T. in the front for over 8 years and it has worked well for me.
I know a number of people who are running T.T.'s front and rear with great results and you then don't need to install H.D. rear axles.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:15 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for the info Mike......the more I think about it T.T. front and rear might be the way I want to go. However, the wheeler in me says Detroit.....but my purpose in building it is to have a fully capable hunting camping rig, not the ultimate off-road beast.

thanks again,
advntrjnky

Old 03-22-2011, 08:28 PM
Mudding

Why wouldn't you go with the detroit in the rear?