Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Looking for advice on a 97 Disco listing

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2021, 12:21 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Looking for advice on a 97 Disco listing

Hey all, I'm currently looking at this posting on Craigslist for a 1997 Disco SD. The price seems steep compared to some others I've seen so I wanted to hear your opinions on the Disco before scheduling a test drive or PPI as I am a few hours away from where it is located. I have no prior mechanical experience due to family pushback before I left for college (women shouldn't work on cars blah blah) but am finally in a position where I can dedicate the rest of my summer to learning everything I can - I am determined to be able to work on my own vehicle in the future. I have $10k allotted for parts/repairs over the next year or so before I begin working full-time although I'd like to stay under that budget if possible. Also, I would be using the truck as a DD for about 150 miles per week if that affects anything.

I'm aware of Spike's stickied post regarding common issues with the D1 and will be looking out for those and asking the seller for service records. Is there anything else I should keep an eye out for in a test drive or PPI? What would you all consider a fair price for this Disco? Though I'm interested in the truck, I'm in no rush to purchase this particular one if it's not a good fit for me.

Thanks in advance for your help if any of you are near DC or Charlottesville I'd love to be friends!

Old 06-29-2021, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,478 Likes on 1,206 Posts

Fair price depends on location, condition, service history and options. Not knowing most of the above makes an educated answer difficult
welcome to the forum

Old 06-29-2021, 12:33 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi ArmyRover, appreciate the warm welcome! I emailed the seller earlier regarding the Disco's service history/options/condition and will update the thread when I receive a response. May have been a little quick with the post button, haha. The Disco is located in southwest Virginia - roads are salted in the winter here if that's what you were asking?

Old 06-29-2021, 02:27 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that Rover is posted for sale on the Disco Web forum. A little chit chat about it on there .
1997 Land Rover Discovery SD, $9950, Boones Mill, VA | DiscoWeb

Old 06-29-2021, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,478 Likes on 1,206 Posts

Looking at those pics it doesn't show the concern areas for rust, so I would want to see that. Mileage if true is low and that is a plus. Interior looks clean and being a SD with no Sunroofs is desirable for most everyone.

If it's as clean as it presents and well sorted mechanically, I don't think the price is that crazy at all.

Old 06-29-2021, 09:49 PM
Winching
Received 122 Likes on 107 Posts

they do require up keep - no honda that is for sure - they are hard on gas - you will probably get less than 15mpg in tip top shape - so with gas pushing $4 a gallon it can hurt the pocket book - 150 miles a week is about a 1/2 tank or $40-50

watch for rust - get maint history

post a picture

Old 06-29-2021, 11:38 PM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the exact same vehicle, color and year. This listed Disco is seems VERY well up-kept. A lot of the busy-work seems already done for you, such as the headliner, paint job. They did make some bold choices with the paint job, making the hood and roof grey, not OEM but cool! Being almost $10k seems very steep to me. Although, I’ve heard that’s about how much folks pay over the years to get their Disco to that level. Most D1s I see on Facebook Marketplace sell for about $1500-$3000, being in various states of repair.

It’s up to you. Depends on how much you want to spend/learn. I’ve had mine for half a year and can say it’s the best DIY vehicle to learn maintenance with. And I’ve owned a Rav4 and a Prius. Discoverys allow you to easily fill and drain every fluid, even the axles, convenient access to the fuel pump, and a schrader valve for testing fuel psi. They’re also as good on-road as they are off-road, which is what set them apart from other trucks of its time. Once you drive one, there’s nothing else like it.

Last edited by ononomos; 06-30-2021 at 04:45 AM.
Old 06-30-2021, 05:09 PM
Winching
Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Have a 97 SD myself. That one looks mighty good.
Mine is my DD, 300 miles a week at least.
They are relatively easy to work on. Engine management electronics being the biggest pain IMHO. Get some basic tools, decent multi-meter, a good bluetooth obd2 thingy, Torque app, and throw in an Ultragauge.

Test drive, make an offer.

Old 07-01-2021, 09:31 AM
4wd Low
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

the one in question on d web was sold to someone in NH

Old 07-01-2021, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,244 Likes on 1,664 Posts

All I know is I was clueless how good of a D1 I had when I bought my 98 LSE 50th Anniversary in Woodcote green which was dealer serviced it's entire life, never off roaded, and it was garage kept with near flawless paint, zero rust, and nothing wrong with it... I got a craving for an 04 so I sold it for 5500.00 and it sold in 1 day to the first person that inquired about it. Hell they didn't even test drive it!

Then fast forward 4-5 years and I wanted another clean D1.... Omg the rust buckets, and ruined interior/exterior ones for sale for the same price I sold my flawless 98 for made me SICK!! Finally tracked down my 95 D1 which did need some engine TLC to get back on the road, but zero rust, dealer serviced for most of it's life clean interior/exterior garage kept, and original paint in good condition. Had a shop done the engine work it alone would have been close to 4k, but I did it myself with the help of my best friends at Austin Roverworks. Now if anyone asked me if I'd sell my 95 D1 I'd look straight in the face and tell them not for a penny less than 25k... Price sounds outrageous, but clean D1's are like RRC's becoming a thing of the past. I would rather drive my 95 D1 vs own anything past 2010...

Good luck & if you find an original non rusted out D1 in clean condition grab it!!

The following users liked this post:
ononomos (07-01-2021)

Quick Reply: Looking for advice on a 97 Disco listing