Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Looking for CDL success stories

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013 | 09:52 PM
|
Three Wheeling
Default Looking for CDL success stories

Found a couple of key posts as far as freeing up a stuck CDL mechanism, looking for some success stories/advice for when I attempt to do mine....

Old 12-16-2013 | 10:29 PM
Winching

Mine was stuck, the shifter would not move to the right side. I got under the truck and removed the u-shape link and moved the tab to the diff lock off. Don't really care for diff lock, when I need it I'll just get under the truck and move it.

I used a large open end wrench and a sledge to knock off the link. The po must have turned the "alarm" and light off.

Old 12-17-2013 | 07:54 AM
Three Wheeling

It really depends on what is stuck: the lever itself or the linkage. My linkage is fine, but the lever won't move to the side. Both can be accessed from the top by removing the center console and drilling out the rivets securing the inner boot. Then you can get to the linkage and/or unbolt the CDL shift mechanism to free it up. Good luck!

Old 12-17-2013 | 09:48 AM
Three Wheeling

I've freed up my '96's years ago and it still works great. I spray lube on the pivot points at oil changes (routine just like greasing "u" joints). More recently I freed my wife's '97.. On hers the lever would not move from the High unlocked position. It's been that way since I bought it well over a year ago, but its been low on the list. With all the recent snow/ice it has moved up. It took a full can + of PB blaster to free her linkage. Although the linkage is free, it still won't engage. I'll be messing around with it again later this week. Try the link below for some great information..

Fixing a Land Rover Discovery Stuck Differential Lock or Transfer Case

Old 12-17-2013 | 12:13 PM
Pro Wrench

I just did mine. The solenoid was frozen not allowing it to lock in 4 lo. I removed center console and drilled the rivets. I had to use a 90* adapter on the drill to get the ones under the upper part of the dash. I used large headed screws with built in washers/rubber to replace the rivets.
I removed the electrical part of the solenoid and resealed it w RTV. I also added some AC duct insulation over the shifter and access panel to block noise and heat. While I was in there I disassembled the shifter and filled it with grease. It operates excellent now.
Name:  20131104_173902_zpsf21ed22d.jpg
Views: 3572
Size:  58.1 KB

Old 12-17-2013 | 12:54 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Sam95disco
Mine was stuck, the shifter would not move to the right side. I got under the truck and removed the u-shape link and moved the tab to the diff lock off. Don't really care for diff lock, when I need it I'll just get under the truck and move it.

I used a large open end wrench and a sledge to knock off the link. The po must have turned the "alarm" and light off.
Don't offroad much, eh?

Old 12-17-2013 | 03:01 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by fishEH
Don't offroad much, eh?
Not yet, its not hard to get to. I'm focused on making her run right. Still don't have good tires.

Old 12-17-2013 | 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

and these wonderful stories are why I saved my money and the headache. but I do have a goofy-looking 3rd gear **** thing

Old 12-17-2013 | 03:24 PM
Baja
Default Solenoid?

Originally Posted by Shiftonthefly1
I just did mine. The solenoid was frozen not allowing it to lock in 4 lo. I removed center console and drilled the rivets. I had to use a 90* adapter on the drill to get the ones under the upper part of the dash. I used large headed screws with built in washers/rubber to replace the rivets.
I removed the electrical part of the solenoid and resealed it w RTV. I also added some AC duct insulation over the shifter and access panel to block noise and heat. While I was in there I disassembled the shifter and filled it with grease. It operates excellent now.

Hi Shiftonthefly,

Once you removed the electrical part solenoid, how did you un freeze it? I never took one apart and am wondering how it works as I am about to tackle the whole CDL issue. I am assuming that the part in question is actually on the automatic shifter housing just on the side?

Thanks,

Abran

Old 12-17-2013 | 08:18 PM
Pro Wrench

The electrical part is the problem in my case. The part in question is visible in the pic above. It's sitting on the floor just to the right of the transfer case shifter. It's mounted on the transfer case just about under the passenger seat. You can see it when you look into the access panel. It's bolted down by four 8mm bolts. Simply slide the electrical part out and RTV the slight notch it has for the previous wiring.

In my case the electrical was the problem because that small little plunger us supposed to retract letting you shift in to 4 wheel low. Since my linkage and shifter were free I knew this had to be my problem.

The hardest part about all this for me, was disconnecting the power seat plugs..someone super glued the switches into the console itself.

Quick Reply: Looking for CDL success stories