Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Looking at a D1

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 02:36 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at a D1

Good day from Fla. I would not say Im a member yet. Son and I found a 96 Desco 1 for sale, lets say rather cheep. Seems to be one problem described in the add

"1996 everything is fine on it with the exception that it won't move when u put it in park or reverse it try's it just won't move I've been told that the emergency break is stuck"
the add also states that this is when the engine is running, don't know it it works in drive since its not supposed to move in park...duh

I have looked through a few threads on here about maybe same issue and I see stuff about the transfercase being stuck or its shifter linkage causing issues. Also could actually be the parking brake.
When we go look at this, what should I look at. Are there things with the 96 D1 that I need to look for beside this issue.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:21 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

As you stated, sounds like the transfer case. The e brake is the large drum attached at the back of the transfer case, so if it's the brake or the case you won't really be able to tell as they are both attached.

I have a 96. I would listen for any knocks in the motor. Also it probably has lots of leaks from the oil lines. Check to make sure the power steering unit is working well with no major leaks.

The AC should blow very cold and the aux electric fans should turn on when the AC is on.

Of course you need to check all he standard used car stuff.

A thorough inspection for rust might be in order. The rear carpet is pretty easy to pull up and you can see the door hatch for the fuel pump, it might be rusty.

96 D1s had a recall on the fuel tanks, so if you buy it you can probably take to a LR dealer and get a new tank.

How many miles? Even if the car was in perfect running order it is going to take time and money. I wouldn't pay more than 6-800 for it. A used t case will cost you at least 250 and the labor more than that.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:20 PM
Overlanding

thanks for the reply,
I just went through more texting, she will move, but only because the "shop" removed the drive shafts. Looking only to offer maybe only 5-600 for her. Don't really need another "project" right now. This would be for my son and does not need to be a cream puff
Another thought, if it is the brake, can I put on the front drive shaft on and see if she moves that way? I know on some other 4x4s I have had, if I lost a rear u joint, I would take off the rear drive shaft and limp back to town with 4x4 engauged and have front wheel drive.
Can I do that with the D1or does that rear emer. brake hold up everything?

I also do all my own mech work so labor is not an issue, a FSM and folks on here would help though.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:45 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

Interesting question on the driveshafts. Being that the car is 4 wheel drive all the time, I don't know that keeping the front and removing the rear would work, a more experienced member will chime in.

I'm pretty sure it's the transfer case. Even engaged the emergency brakes on the cars don't hold that well, and being that the car probably has more than 100k miles, I doubt the e brake is holding that strong that the car couldn't be moved without removing the drive shafts.

Once you get under the car with some gloves on you can try to spin the brake drum and get a feel for it.

If the car is clean and the motor runs the price sounds right, but it will be a project.

Good luck!

Old 01-14-2014, 05:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes. Running one driveshaft will temporarily work, just make sure the CDL is shifted to the left in order to "lock" the transfercase

Old 01-14-2014, 11:40 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It won't matter if it's the brake. It's attached to the transfer case. If it's locked down so is the transfer case. If it's the transfer case or transmission it won't matter either. If by chance one of the drive shafts was removed it won't move in drive unless the transfer case is locked. If it's the brake the engine shouldn't Rev freely. If it does and you have nothing to the drive shafts then it's transmission or tcase related.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:26 AM
Overlanding

Ok found a 96, 99, 00, and 01 D1s in a local yard all still have complete drive lines. Would I be able to use any of the others besides the 96?

Old 01-15-2014, 12:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I think you can use any of those, but the 00 &
01 may not have the CDL nipple.

The shop manual is called RAVE. There are many download sources online. Search user "savannahbuzz"

Old 01-15-2014, 02:31 PM
TReK
Received 471 Likes on 388 Posts
Old 01-15-2014, 03:40 PM
Overlanding

UPDATE: Ok, whent and actually looked at this Rover. Its a SE, if that matters. Interior is sparce. Brought my own battery an she started up, after a crank or two.

Sounded like an exhaust leak, actually I see that they removed part of the exhaust pipe between where it bolts to the right exhaust manifold and the Y where the two sides meet up, replaced with a flex pipe, easy fix, weld.

Now, in the add she stated that the emergency brake is froze up, I crawled under and can turn it freely with my hand, rear drive shaft is off, front is disconnected from the front axle. I was able to put in reverse and drive, heard the engine idle go down a little when I did, but did not see the transfer case (brake drum) turn.

I can move the transfers case selector but it feels like it does not want to stay in L, its in N and goes into H but again, does not want to stay. Could the xfr case be staying in N?

Could there also be an issue with the tranny? Her uncle changed the oil, filter, air filter, trany fluid and cleaned the tranny filter, could this be something easy, like wrong fluid?

3 of the 4 windows work, no rust, doors shut solid, ac/heat work, lights work.

she is asking 700, Im thinking, depending on how involed the "not moving" issue is to repair, 6-650.

Story is that after she had the engine "rebuilt" I call it a tune up, he mother then came over and said her uncle cleaned everything in the engine. Anyway, she was doing errends. ran into a store, came back out and the Rover would not move even with the tranny in D,3,2,1 or R.

I need to give her an answer by Friday, thoughts welcome.