Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Looking for (educated) opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 09:21 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Looking for (educated) opinions

So my super sweet new winch doesnt QUUIIITTTE fit in my super sweet winch bumper. (measure once cut twice). So in order for it to fit. My pesky tranny cooler has to be moved. Here's what it looked like originally

Name:  photo4.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  147.5 KB

but it sat too far forward and i couldnt get the winch in, so i removed it, and dropped the winch in, and relocated it up a bit so it was above the winch

Name:  photo8.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  147.1 KB

Now.....on either side, since ive raised the heat exchanger up, the hardlines dont meet the exchanger. I have 3" roughly on the driver side and 5" on the passenger side.

Name:  photo9.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  133.1 KB

Name:  photo7.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  143.3 KB

here's what i've tried so far. i have the exchanger at a hydraulic shop right now, im trying to get little jumper lines made with male fittings on one end and female on the other so i can just screw them into place. here's what the hydro shop is saying. The lines are 1/2 inch aluminum bump connections, the issue for them is that all their standard stuff wont work with my lines becasue aluminum coldflows (wtf is that?) and that the fittings would work themselves loose eventually. He's trying to come up with another solution today, but do you guys have any insight or ideas that might help? I'm supposed to be on the road to rausch friday night. I'd like to NOT throw 200$ at an aftermarket tranny cooler, but my current trans lines do leak, so having new ones made could be a possibility. Any insight is awesome insight. FWIW im leery of bending them because im afraid i'll kink them

Old 02-21-2012, 10:49 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What about running all new lines? Invite someone that has bent lines before over for a few cold ones and call it good. With someone experienced, and you watching as an extra eye and hand, should be much easier.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:59 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

For future reference, I make repair kits for these lines that will suit this particular application very well.

Name:  oilandfuelfittings016.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  37.0 KB

The larger of the two is for oil and transmission cooler lines, the smaller fitting is for adding a fuel pressure gauge to earlier trucks with no provision for such.

The larger fittings (for oil cooler lines) are $65/pair with hydraulic hose and clamps, shipping is usually about $15 CONUS.

the fuel pressure adapter is $100 plus shipping which is $8.50 CONUS.

Shipping to ROW POR.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:06 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

He should be on the phone with you momentarily, Paul. I tipped him off via PM.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:29 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

should be able to throw some compression fittings on the aluminum lines and adapt to whatever you want to extend them with...

Old 02-21-2012, 11:53 AM
Recovery Vehicle

My concern there would be the ability for the cOmpression fittings to handle roughly 300 psi without leaking. If it doesn't hold pressure, and or leaks, the trans goes boom and wife makes me sell truck

Old 02-21-2012, 11:55 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I'm waiting to hear from the hydro shop and if they don't have my fix then I'll get with pt on the custom hose barbs which will fix my leaky trans lines anyway. Just won't have the winch for this weekend. Sigh

Old 02-21-2012, 12:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You could probably have the parts from PT if you call him ASAP?

Old 02-21-2012, 12:43 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by turf63
My concern there would be the ability for the cOmpression fittings to handle roughly 300 psi without leaking. If it doesn't hold pressure, and or leaks, the trans goes boom and wife makes me sell truck
Wonder why LR put such high pressure through the cooler line? Seems like they could run the fluid through the cooler on the way to the pan, instead of putting the cooler after the pump.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

And isn't that just part of the tranny cooler, because it also flows through the radiator on the driver side? Which is enough for lots of other vehilces except when trailer towing. And are you sure about the 300 PSI there? Seems like it would be a lot less.

Quick Reply: Looking for (educated) opinions