Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Lost key, alarm on

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 10:40 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lost key, alarm on

This not for my truck, I'm trying to help someone locally, and I kind of ran out of options. Nothing in my research in several rover related forums showed satisfying results. Here is the problem, the truck is a 98:

Lost key and key fob. The owner now has a valet key but he still has to disarm the alarm in order to get in the truck, and removing the ignition switch to get a new key made. The main concern is that he locked the truck using the fob prior to losing it, and he cannot turn the alarm off with only his key, according to RAVE. He claims he doesn't have the EKA (emergency key access) code to disarm the system, and the dealer wasn't much help because they wanted to tow the truck and charge him a complete steering column, 5 locks, reprogram the alarm ECU + labor, reaching a total of over 1k$.

Is the EKA code provided by the dealer or it can be found elsewhere? And is it possible to reprogram a new fob using the procedure found in RAVE. What would be the best solution to this problem?

Old 04-12-2011, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

I didn't know rover's came with valet keys, but a valet key, by definition, should open the door and start the car.

In the owners manual for rave it states:

Unlocking with the handset
Within range of the vehicle, briefly press the
PLAIN button on the handset; the hazard
warning lights flash once, the alarm is
disarmed immediately and the doors unlock.
NOTE: The interior lights illuminate when the
alarm system is disarmed.

If the handset fails to unlock the vehicle, use
the key and re-synchronise the handset (see
item 6 under ’Handset battery’).

Old 04-12-2011, 01:15 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Jull
This not for my truck, I'm trying to help someone locally, and I kind of ran out of options. Nothing in my research in several rover related forums showed satisfying results. Here is the problem, the truck is a 98:

Lost key and key fob. The owner now has a valet key but he still has to disarm the alarm in order to get in the truck, and removing the ignition switch to get a new key made. The main concern is that he locked the truck using the fob prior to losing it, and he cannot turn the alarm off with only his key, according to RAVE. He claims he doesn't have the EKA (emergency key access) code to disarm the system, and the dealer wasn't much help because they wanted to tow the truck and charge him a complete steering column, 5 locks, reprogram the alarm ECU + labor, reaching a total of over 1k$.

Is the EKA code provided by the dealer or it can be found elsewhere? And is it possible to reprogram a new fob using the procedure found in RAVE. What would be the best solution to this problem?
Here is the best troubleshooting/solution link I have found - with an 'alternate' EKA code for NAS Disco's...

Security and Alarm System Operation & Diagnosis on Range Rover 4.0/4.6/P38A

Old 04-12-2011, 01:17 PM
Rock Crawling
Default 'Generic" NAS EKA Code

Here is th procedure it outlines, that I would try first:

Generic EKA Procedure on NAS Range Rovers
The EKA feature does not seem to be enabled on US vehicles, or some Australian ones, and is not mentioned in their owners' handbooks (but see "rest of world" section below). However there does seem to be an abbreviated version of the procedure available on NAS models, intended to be known only by Land Rover dealers and using a generic code (1515) for all vehicles. One US owner with a 2000 Range Rover had his vehicle stranded with a dead battery and no remote available, but when jumpering it got the message "Engine Disabled, Press Remote". Since he did not have a remote, he managed to reactivate the vehicle using a variant of the EKA procedure that the dealer confided -- the dealer was fairly sure that almost all NAS P38's have the same EKA code, which is:
Unlock once
lock 5 times,
unlock once,
and then lock 5 times.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:12 PM
Winching

Thanks everyone, I'll tell him to take a look at this.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:24 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unlocking with the key in the drivers door should disarm the alarm.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:23 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by tweakrover
Unlocking with the key in the drivers door should disarm the alarm.
Agreed - however, I have experienced issues (when my FOB was...um...misplaced) with the truck starting to act "inconsistently" when locking/unlocking with the valet key only, and from the drivers door.

The generic EKA worked for me (96 Disco I) and I was able to re-synch the FOB with the system and have not had issues since.

The security systems seemed to have been well intentioned, but maybe too "cutting edge" at the time they were implemented. Of course, that's just my opinion, and as others have so eloquently described - "opinions are like (insert reference to orifice here), everybody has one and they all stink"...

Old 04-12-2011, 04:16 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ok I was wrong if you lock it with the fob it has to be unlocked with the fob, if you lock it with the key you can unlock it wit the fob or key. what a stupid idea what happens when you are out and the battery in the fob decides to die you cant override the alarm with the key. I've been wanting to get a fob but I'm not sure iI want one now.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:00 PM
Winching

No, you don't want a fob. The fob is why there was a problem in the beginning. There is the procedure with the generic EKA code but you have to be aware of it otherwise you're screwed.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:23 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I do not use my FOB. Does the DI have the SuperAlarm Mode?

Quick Reply: Lost key, alarm on