Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Low battery and P1316 (misfire)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 09:48 AM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Is the GEMS engine considered to be SFI (Sequential Fuel Injection)?

.....Can you use more pictures please?
Yes sir, Gems ('96 to '99) and Bosch Motronic (DII's) employ Sequential Multi-Port Injection

The older Lucas systems (13Cu through 14CUX) were MFI

Knowledge???? If I knew this $#!T from memory I'd be insane(er) for sure. I do know how these systems work relatively well, specifically the Lucas EFI's but for connector, splice, ground numbers and common circuit details I just reference that stuff in the same place all of us can.

RAVE on Party people.

As for pictures, I'll try to include them from now on. Here's one I think perfectly describes this thread.......

Name:  175466323_3d55ee3fd8.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  66.4 KB

Last edited by Cosmic88; 07-15-2011 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:56 AM
Winching
Location: Oklahoma; where the winds come rolling down the plains.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The spare ECU is from a 1999 and the harness a 1997. I know there is no difference becouse my truck 99D1 has my 97D1 ECU in it running fine on 99D1 wire harness. My 97D1 harness shows #13 EMPTY #14 Interior, #15 Empty. The pin numbers are on the ECU PCB. I understand what your saying, but if this is true than my engine would not run at all in the configuration it is in. She runs nice and smooth and the only complaint I have is fuel econemy of course. The 99D1 harness has the exact identicle wire colors and placement as the 97D1 wire harness. Not sure what your reading, but the wires and thier connection points can't lie. Unless I'm color blind and my fingers slip off the wires as I'm tracing them. In which case I have not been diagnosed of having trouble with.

Last edited by LRD2&ME; 07-15-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:25 AM
Winching

lol.. why are you referencing what is printed on the pcb? When giving people info about which pins to probe or test for continuity of the HARNESS you need to make reference to the pin #'s of the Plugs / connectors where those particular wires are located. The pcb numbers are never referenced. The ETM will tell you about every connection and circuit in the harness.

And what am I looking at? The Factory released and updated Electrical Troubleshooting Manual. Land Rover made it. Every LR dealer tech, LR indy tech and "professional" DIY'er references it for specific details. There are VERY few mistakes in the RAVE manuals and the connector pins of the plugs is not one of those mistakes.

Do you have the complete set of factory manuals? I'd be happy to sell it to you at a discount.

You still haven't explained how you came to the conclusion that a bad sensor (ECT, MAF, CKPS, FTS...) when gone bad will effect the other sensors ability to communicate with the ECM? Shall we just say that does not happen and that was a simple mistake?

Last edited by Cosmic88; 07-15-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:42 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by LRD2&ME
First make sure you have enough voltage in your battery. The ECU supplies Positive power and ground to all the sensors. In most instances the ECU sends out one positive and one negative wire to be branched off of to numerous sensors. If one sensor in this chain is acting up, it could definitly effect the others. A bad sensor will either create resistance or nothing at all. Depends on the severety of the damage to the component. I would start with the IACV idle air control valve. This valve consists of two really thin wired coils which actuate it in and out. Pull the two bolts and leave it connected to the wired plug. Pull the IACV out of the chamber and place it where you can see it through the drivers seat. Turn the ignition to the second position. The IACV should move in and then out again. No movement is bad. Also there is a spring on the IACV shaft. Unscrew the shaft and remove the spring. Now try the test again with the key in the second spot. Of the two coils in the IACV, one pushes out while the other pulls in. Removing the spring will let you know for sure if a coil is bad. Do not forget to put the spring back on the shaft and screw the shaft back in the same amount of turns you took it off.
Shall we agree this is not correct? Along with a few other tid bits...

Old 07-15-2011, 11:19 AM
Winching

What sounds strange, is to not use the pin numbers printed on the PCB as actual reference locations. And I will say that if you lose one sensor in this configuration, the resistance will effect the rest of the components in that daisy chain. Significant or slight the effects will be there. Land rover multi wire connections are in the star topography design. Lose the hub, lose them all. Lose one, the rest will work but the resistance created will be in that circuit.

Last edited by LRD2&ME; 07-15-2011 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:18 PM
Winching

What sounds strange, is to not use the pin numbers printed on the PCB as actual reference locations. And I will say that if you lose one sensor in this configuration, the resistance will effect the rest of the components in that daisy chain. Significant or slight the effects will be there. Land rover multi wire connections are in the star topography design. Lose the hub, lose them all. Lose one, the rest will work but the resistance created will be in that circuit.
At first I was trying to help you clearly understand how your thought processes were flawed regarding the effect one sensor could have on another and how EVERY single connector, pin, ground, splice etc. is referenced in a clear standardized manner through a series of technical manuals produced by the manufacturer of your vehicle. Now I just don't care because you are closed minded quite obviously. You seem unwilling to accept the fact that there exists a specific manual produced by Land Rover to help fix Land Rovers. this is the text used for reference always. not your way...

You are correct if a common GROUND goes bad that the other components associated with that particular ground will be effected. duh... no one said otherwise. What you DID say was, "If one sensor in this chain is acting up, it could definitly effect the others. A bad sensor will either create resistance or nothing at all. Depends on the severety of the damage to the component" ... which is incorrect.

It may seem strange to you that the numbers printed on the Printed Circuit Board INSIDE a sealed metal housing, commonly refered to as the ECM, would not be referenced in the ETM... I will take one final attempt to explain to you the standard used by everyone else in the entire Land Rover world besides you.

In order to troubleshoot a sensor, wire, connection, splice... ANYTHING electrical on a Land Rover, we use the Electrical Troubleshooting Manual. Contained within this manual are numbers and letters which help the tech pinpoint exactly which circuits or connections are related and where they are located. At NO time does this manual suggest that you should OPEN THE ECM and investigate the internal PCB. Therefore no reference is ever made to anything printed on the PCB. When guiding people to troubleshoot issues they may have with their Rover you should quote specific reference numbers found in the ETM which relate to connectors, pins, splices, harness routing, grounds and the very specific way in which certain components are related to one another.

Seriously, let go of your resistance to accept new (to you) knowledge. If you keep on giving people incorrect pin #'s and sensor info in relation to accepted protocols for reference concerning Land Rover repair you will be a liability instead of what you are obviously trying to be, helpful.

And finally, you got one more thing wrong... It is commonly refered to as topology (as in network topology) not topography ( as in mapping of an area).

If you can't understand that there already exists a standard way of describing various systems and troubleshooting Land Rovers then I simply give up. I hope this is not the case. Please Download the entire RAVE file and read the intro to the ETM... then you will be on the same page as the rest of us.

Good luck to you otherwise.

Last edited by Cosmic88; 07-15-2011 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:03 PM
Winching

Hope you didn't blow a head gasket on that one. You can stick to your book. I will use actual components for my references. Topology/Topography, what world do you live in. Means the same thing in my world when viewing networks in Air Defense Artillery. Sorry you were confused.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:42 PM
Winching

Oh well... I tried but you seem determined to stay woefully ignorant. You want keep on giving people incorrect info on purpose even though I offered to guide you through how to use the established technical manual? No head gasket blown at all. I am not mad and I am not typing angry things. If you took it that way then you have made yet another error for today. That does however, tell me a little bit about your perspective.

Stick with my book you say... the official Land Rover technical manuals you are intentionally ignoring? Gladly.

That pretty much says everything everyone needs to know about you. Someone who intentionally remains ignorant and is indifferent to giving out bad information to others who are in need of legitimate help. I do hope many people read this thread and realize how little you care about giving correct answers to their questions... questions usually asked during a time of frustration and sometimes crisis. despicable behavior.

Old 07-15-2011, 04:14 PM
Winching

The information you are so blatently refering to is the same. Unfortunetly I do not have your tech manual to give reference to the pin numbers Land Rover decided to use other than what is marked on the actual parts. I really give a Damb if anyone doesn't want to listen to me. As for you, unless you are a shrink, leave that business alone. Quit trying to be right all the time and be the all mighty. Who cares. You want to make people look and sound stupid. Have fun and enjoy your pitiful existence with your Land Rover.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:10 PM
Winching

The information you are so blatently refering to is the same. Unfortunetly I do not have your tech manual to give reference to the pin numbers Land Rover decided to use other than what is marked on the actual parts. I really give a Damb if anyone doesn't want to listen to me. As for you, unless you are a shrink, leave that business alone. Quit trying to be right all the time and be the all mighty. Who cares. You want to make people look and sound stupid. Have fun and enjoy your pitiful existence with your Land Rover.
Dude how lame are you that you can't just accept that is kinda sucks to give people wrong details about how to go and fix their trucks?

Nothin about being mighty going on here Annie Oakley... if you say having the manuals for these trucks and giving poeple who ask for specific help correct answers is "being all mighty" then apparently there are alot of mighty folks around here. Wait a minute... you're on here and share your "knowledge" all the time... you must trying to be all mighty.

"Who cares" about giving good info to other people who share a pitiful experience with their Land Rover's? Nice

And if being into this little hobby and sharing that with everyone else who does the same thing on these forums is so bad then wtf is your deal? you're going to the trouble of trying to make and sell Land Rover parts... refurbing TPS's... making regulator rollers... posting in threads, giving your ideas... You are a little more pitiful than me it seems.

And my favorite... you're looking and sounding stoopid fairly well all by yourself. no help needed from me.

Can't we just have peace in the middle and the East?

Quick Reply: Low battery and P1316 (misfire)