Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Lucas Oil Deep Clean Fuel System Cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 07:04 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lucas Oil Deep Clean Fuel System Cleaner

My truck was probably the perfect candidate....not tuned, years of grime, needing new electrics, dry valves and cylinders....little ticks and noises. I used it to help whatever it could now and buy me some time to get to the root of problems if necessary.

.found it as I was trying to get my head around Mike's "fuel additive" bit on the 60K list.

..but I'm really liking it. I'm not a snake oil guy and am always very skeptical but I think this stuff works great. more pep and fluid feeling with the pedal. sounds better.

...didn't stop my roof leaks or cranky transmission/differential/brakes but hey.

thing is it says on the bottle that if I use this regularly I don't need to use higher octane gas. what's with that????? Says to use this or follow with regular Lucas fuel treatment.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The MSDS of the product has a CAS number, which indexes to this HYDRAULIC FLUID | 64742-54-7

"hydraulic fluid"

Solvent use OK by my somewhat low "under the tree" standards, but as far as it making regular gas into premium, don't think so.

So now that it is running, cooling, holding sockets that might roll around in the back; where's the road trip pix?

Old 12-16-2011, 07:16 AM
Pro Wrench

poco a poco senor.

or project by project. i'm still tackling the floor and now rear bumper. I'm not posting pics until the project is done. It looks mean.

i started this project June 1. I have to address my transmission and differentials next. maybe wheel hubs even. still has dinky tires too.

premium gas is $1 liter. is that high for you?

Old 12-16-2011, 07:18 AM
Pro Wrench

...and sava i don't get you on the hydraulic fluid bit. are you saying this ingredient is what I'm feeling? i never get how they put all the crap in the same bottle and it goes to its part and does the work it needs to do.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

1. 3.78 liters per gallon, and premium near me can be had in the $3.75 range.

2. I'm not saying don't use it, I'm just saying that many times the magic ingredient is revealed by looking up info on the MSDS form. Some popular additives are basically kerosene and naptha, etc. If it solvents gunk out of injectors and makes the engine run good, it's good. You paobably have a better chance with a commercially made and bottled product, as opposed to pouring in your own in bulk. Their lawyers have examined how large a container represents the risk for someone to use it all at one time, etc.

3. Solvent is solvent. Properlly used , good. Improper, bad. Carb cleaner will clean an IACV. It will also mess up paint or shiny plastic. That doesn't make it an in-effective product. Just one that needs care in use.

4. Lots of owners will say you never need additives if you run premium quality gas. Perhaps so, but what about the previous owner who didn't? A little solvent cleans things up, brings them back to normal standard. Too much, and seals, plastic fuel pump parts, etc., begin to fail.

5. No Disco wrenching on Nochebuena.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:23 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Most will tell you I am a BIG lucas promoter, that being said, Lucas gas additive is not the one to clean out your engine, much less allow you to run a lower octane gas. Lucas is OK for keeping a clean system clean but not very good at actually cleaning out a lot of old build up.
B&G's 44K is about the best, Chevron's Techtron comes in second and Seafoam third in effectiveness.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:22 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by slanginsanjuan

thing is it says on the bottle that if I use this regularly I don't need to use higher octane gas. what's with that????? Says to use this or follow with regular Lucas fuel treatment.
This goes back to the spark knock and carburated days, they really need to omit that from the bottle.
Back in the day, when all cars had carb's, there were no knock sensors to adjust the ignition timing to prevent spark knock while under load, like pulling a trailer, climbing a hill, etc.
It was caused by carbon build up on the pistons, carbon build up increases the compression ratio.
There were 2 ways to correct this, adjust the ignition timing was the first step, if that did not fix it then you had to use a higher octane fuel, because a higher octane fuel burns slower and will not spark knock.
Spark knock is the fuel igniting to soon and the piston is still coming up on the compression stroke and the knock is the two fighting it out.
Higher octane fuel burns slower so it would prevent the knock.
Excessive spark knock will destroy a engine, a little is ok.
With fuel injection they have knock sensors, these sensors detect spark knock and adjust the ignition timing to prevent spark knock, but when they do that you loose horse power and MPG because your engine is not running at its most efficient timing.
That is one of the reasons using premium fuel in a engine that requires it is so important.

Old 12-17-2011, 01:02 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Buck a liter is right on it sounds. So keep on burning "High-Test". Blow it out good.

I put some Chevron Tectron in mine last week cause it was buy one get one free. Seems to pep it up a bit.

Get that pretty metal floor finished and post some pics of it Brother. I want to see it. Did you get around to mounting those rear light guards yet?

Keep up the good work.

Old 12-18-2011, 01:31 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My first choice is the Redline Fuel Cleaner...then Chevron.

Don't know if it is just me, but I always notice a difference when using the Redline cleaner.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:45 AM
Pro Wrench

...good feedback thanks. I'm still pretty happy but am always willing to trade up.

thanks Danny.....just finished the floor: https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...14/#post287729

Quick Reply: Lucas Oil Deep Clean Fuel System Cleaner