Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Many Questions in 1 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 01:23 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
The sealant used was a two part RTV that was mixed then thinned to spraying consistency and applied with a Binks air gun, the same one as used for both the paint and the primer. The entire airplane had a thin layer of RTV between the primer and the aircraft paint.

thats pretty awesome!

Old 02-08-2011, 01:28 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have brand new Kumho tires, nothing special but the old tires were dry rotting. I plan on getting A/T since most of my off roading will be in MS or Texas, maybe colorado? And those retread tires hilltopper sent me I can't get. Family won't even think of getting retread..

I found the the shackles, would it be best to get all 4 of the same type around?
JATE $190
JATE $176
Are these the same?

Smittybilt $54
These are A LOT cheaper than JATE but are they reliable?

Are they easily installed? Kind of like fit the shackle and slide the metal pin through right? Something along those lines

Old 02-08-2011, 05:35 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The Smittybuilt link is for "D" rings, those are used on a off road bumper, a trailer as a tie down, etc.
The JATE rings bolt directly to the frame, the frame is the most secure place to pull from because it ain't moving, if it does you have bigger problems.
NEVER EVER pull on the body itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcHrkhHXoHo

Always pull on the frame.
Never the axles or suspension either, the FRAME.

Old 02-08-2011, 05:56 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by calebbo
I found the the shackles, would it be best to get all 4 of the same type around?
JATE $190
JATE $176
Are these the same?
Both your links are the same, so don't know.
Just ring them up and tell them the application.
I'd just get two for the front. For the rear get a receiver shackle. PM axeangel, he has a nice one for sale.
https://landroverforums.com/forum/members/axeangel-9177/

I don't know if you mean the d-ring or not, but forget that.
There are two brands that you should get one or the other of, that I mentioned in my first reply.

You'll also need a quality ****** strap...make sure you get a ****** strap designed for dynamic pulls, not static pulls.
Also a bridle for the JATE rings.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by calebbo
Question 1 interior
Would herculining the interior of our vehicle mess up the insulation I guess? I was talking to a Rhino liner guy in town asking him if he does interior and he said he does but wondered if I really wanted to. He told me it might make my vehicle extremely cold inside during the winter since I am losing foaming or whatever. Just wondering since the guy seemed lost on his own words, and I trust you guys with experience
I don't think he's talking about it messing up the insulation. I think he's talking about removing it. and the carpet. and whatever else is on top of where you'd be spraying the stuff. Fortunately, most of the insulation under the carpet is for sound, not temperature. So your car might be louder inside, but probably not colder.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:51 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
The Smittybuilt link is for "D" rings, those are used on a off road bumper, a trailer as a tie down, etc.
The JATE rings bolt directly to the frame, the frame is the most secure place to pull from because it ain't moving, if it does you have bigger problems.
NEVER EVER pull on the body itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcHrkhHXoHo

Always pull on the frame.
Never the axles or suspension either, the FRAME.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH I would have pissed myself... that was funny. Talk about stupid.

While living in ND, it had been a cool wet week, I turned out of a hotel driveway and my car sank to the frame in mud. (I had to crawl out the window to get out...) had to wait till morning to get any help. It froze overnight. Car ended up being there for a week before we could get it out.

Last edited by ngarover; 02-09-2011 at 06:54 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:30 AM
Pro Wrench

My fault
Jate 2
2 for the front

I PM'd AxeAngel for the rear shackle receiver.
I think I'm going to order a 3 ton shackle from CM for the rear. Does the receiver matter? If not I'm going to go to Trailer Transport and look at the shackle receivers they have.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:04 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ngarover
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH I would have pissed myself... that was funny. Talk about stupid.

While living in ND, it had been a cool wet week, I turned out of a hotel driveway and my car sank to the frame in mud. (I had to crawl out the window to get out...) had to wait till morning to get any help. It froze overnight. Car ended up being there for a week before we could get it out.

That is hilarious.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:27 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That was an incredible video. Never expected it to rip apart. But what were they trying to do, pulling it sideways like that.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:13 PM
Pro Wrench

Hahaha I would have laughed way louder than the guy in the vid, poor guy

Quick Reply: Many Questions in 1 Thread