Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Master Cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2023, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

I have used the aftermarket style MC with zero issues. I had an OEM unit not give me any pressure to the front wheels (internal seal blown), and I had 1 aftermarket one do the same thing, but both were old, and when the brake lines were replaced I bled the systems and it moved the MC's piston further than they'd ever gone and it caused the internal seals to go out.

Old 01-23-2023, 08:44 AM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If anyone's keeping up with my saga, this weekend I began working on replacing the lines. My new master cylinder is set to arrive on Wednesday. Got the front lines done... they took a bit longer than anticipated. I couldn't get the tires off... the joy of the lug nuts swelling, So I have a socket on order to pickup to hopefully get them off and uncapped. I did get the front lines done with the tires still on the vehicle though just took some additional time and I was extra and tapped painters' tarp to my tires so brake clean or fluid didn't get on them. Was a fun time but I got rained out before doing the rear lines. With my order I went ahead and got exhaust gaskets, so that's going to be on my docket of things to do as well. Ultimately things have gone smooth so far. Nothing on either front caliper are seized and everything broke free with "Minimal" penetrating oils. So far a win! Thanks for everyones input and advice so far.

Old 01-23-2023, 08:47 AM
Overlanding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Definitely replace those lug nuts with some steel ones without caps. Best decision I ever made.

The following users liked this post:
HiFiveYoDiscovery (01-23-2023)
Old 01-23-2023, 07:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 234 Likes on 202 Posts

1 1/8 inch, deep 6 pt socket and a cheap torque wrench are kept in both my Discos for the lug nuts.

The following users liked this post:
Machinistbutler (02-02-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 06:50 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts

Best thing I did was to replace those pesky wheel nuts with the sloid steel ones.Nothing but trouble with the stock 2 piece nuts. Had to carry 2 different sockets, one for lug nutswith the outside removed, one for unswelled nuts. Make sure the lug nuts on the spare fit the socket / wrench you have in the truck. they are the stock size but are the two piece size.

Old 01-24-2023, 08:02 AM
Drifting

I ordered the steel ones yesterday so I'm going to swap them out on the truck. I was originally just going to decap them, but it seems like more trouble than it's worth for something that's a safety concern. I've had the spare off to do some work on the taillights, so I know they come off just fine. This was the first time I've done something where I needed the tires off, with coming up two years of ownership that's not so bad. Ive got different sized sockets coming to try and get the original capped ones off... that will be an adventure I am sure lol

Old 01-27-2023, 08:25 AM
Drifting

Another update.

I spent a wonderful 3 hours to get off and swap on the 20 lugs for all four wheels...It was so much fun. Took a 28mm socket and a hammer to get them all off. All but 2 where really bad. Some of them I had to lay on the ground and press my legs into the break bar while my girlfriend stood on it so the caps wouldn't just spin. I backed the land rover up partially on the driveway and partially in the grass, So Im stuck waiting to do the rear lines with all the rain we have had. This weekend im going to tackle the exhaust manifold gasket and at least get the old master out and get everything painted under it. I got all the brake fluid off (along with the paint of everything under it) so ill spend some time really cleaning and sanding and painting to avoid rust. My rig is "mostly" rust free and I would like to keep it that way for the foreseeable future.

Old 02-02-2023, 01:26 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

One nice thing with the horrid stock wheel nuts is if a thief tried to steal the wheels chances are the nut would be stuck so bad in his socket he wouldn't be able to use it again until he found a vice and a punch.

A good size point 1 1/8 socket did work great for mine as stated in an earlier post.