Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Reservoir Rebuild Kit...Photos and what to expect.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 06:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Brake Reservoir Rebuild Kit...Photos and what to expect.

Like many of us I had brake fluid leaking from the grommets under the reservoir..purchased the entire kit, so I decided to rebuild it all. Called for removing the master cylinder as per the RAVE. Very straight forward [have an old towel and a tray to quickly move the removed cylinder into to avoid a bigger mess]. Only the two brake lines to break free, the two nuts that hold the cylinder to the booster and unclip the cap wires...it will wiggle right out.
The 2nd and 3rd photo show you what you will be looking at with the cylinder out.
Once the cylinder is out, dismantle it and install the new parts.
[For those of you wanting to just replace the 2 grommets...the wire clip is all that holds the reservoir on the cylinder.
Issues that I encountered so far:
1..The yellowish plastic part that is on the end of the cylinder was a bear to get off. The tabs will break. I needed to lightly tap through the mounting slots to get the part off the cylinder as you see it in the last photo.

Attached Thumbnails Brake Reservoir Rebuild Kit...Photos and what to expect.-img_0273.jpg   Brake Reservoir Rebuild Kit...Photos and what to expect.-img_0280.jpg   Brake Reservoir Rebuild Kit...Photos and what to expect.-img_0279.jpg   Brake Reservoir Rebuild Kit...Photos and what to expect.-img_0281.jpg   Brake Reservoir Rebuild Kit...Photos and what to expect.-img_0282.jpg  

Old 01-16-2013, 06:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Part 2...

Part 2....
Other things to note..
When it came to getting the new yellow plastic piece on, I needed to use a couple vise grips to press it in. (i am a wuss)
Install the grommet in its place for the plastic piece to slide into as I pressed this part into place. (see pic 2 below)

Once the plastic piece is pressed into place the hard work is done.

Make note of the 2 rubber "O" ring seals ( note the smaller one in pic 1). The larger one you will find on the backside of that yellow piece.

Have both grommets installed in the cylinder (pic 3). Lube them with some new brake fluid so the new reservoir will press into its place.
Slide the metal clip in until it "clips"in. You will see how it holds the reservoir when you get there.
Line up the the cylinder in the booster, secure the 2 bolts, secure the 2 brake lines...
... not done yet! Fill and follow the RAVE and other posts here to bleed the entire system.

Attached Thumbnails Brake Reservoir Rebuild Kit...Photos and what to expect.-img_0283.jpg   Brake Reservoir Rebuild Kit...Photos and what to expect.-img_0285.jpg   Brake Reservoir Rebuild Kit...Photos and what to expect.-img_0286.jpg  
Old 01-10-2014, 09:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for this write-up! I'm getting ready to jump into this in the morning.

Old 01-06-2015, 05:10 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

We should make a sticky for this and have it with the other repair tutorials.