Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Mercedes I5 into a D1...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 08:31 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You've shown that you are resourceful, I like the idea of giving it a try, especially if you can do the cooking oil rig.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:33 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the other interesting thing is ,the engine coming out weighs 310 pounds what does the one going in weigh ,maybe 600-675 pounds how will that effect the front end ,also what is the HP rating of the land rover diesel it can not be much more than 120 . sounds like fun though as long as you have a nice garage and are not out in the driveway like us other suckers ,good luck .

Old 02-13-2012, 09:57 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by coldstart
the other interesting thing is ,the engine coming out weighs 310 pounds what does the one going in weigh ,maybe 600-675 pounds how will that effect the front end ,also what is the HP rating of the land rover diesel it can not be much more than 120 . sounds like fun though as long as you have a nice garage and are not out in the driveway like us other suckers ,good luck .
Well, the Mercedes Diesel is heavier, adding OME HD springs takes care of that. I'm not worried about HP. I don't drive fast and understand Diesels are notoriously slow in these things.
And unfortunately, I would be doing this outsides in the driveway as I have no garage in this lovely place that gets over 13' of rain a year...

Old 03-09-2012, 02:38 PM
TReK

Okay, so the Mercedes owner informed me last night that his new family rig is on it's way. He bought a Sprinter van with the Mercedes diesel in it! Said as soon as it arrives I can have the 300D for free! Things are looking up.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:42 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
300D of that era rated at 79 HP. Big change from our "fireball" Buick engine. Turbo came out a year or two later and bumped that to 123 HP.
I heard a vicious rumor that the turbo manifold will bolt to the NA head. Just have to do some fab work for the intake and exhaust. That's the easy part. I can always do that later on after the bugs are worked out.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:46 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris-bob
I heard a vicious rumor that the turbo manifold will bolt to the NA head. Just have to do some fab work for the intake and exhaust. That's the easy part. I can always do that later on after the bugs are worked out.

careful with compression ratios, injectors, and piston cooling if youre just adding boost like that.

i still dont think this is a good idea (and im a huge merc diesel fan), but definitely let us know how this all works out

Old 03-09-2012, 04:33 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket
careful with compression ratios, injectors, and piston cooling if youre just adding boost like that.

i still dont think this is a good idea (and im a huge merc diesel fan), but definitely let us know how this all works out
Worse case scenario, I don't like it and get a TDI for it later down the road.

I don't plan on trying to squeeze every ounce of power out of it. Just wanna cruise along comfortably, get better fuel economy(fewer fill-ups is what I'm after) and a top speed of 55 is fine with me.(I like back roads)

Old 03-09-2012, 07:28 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris-bob
Okay, so the Mercedes owner informed me last night that his new family rig is on it's way. He bought a Sprinter van with the Mercedes diesel in it! Said as soon as it arrives I can have the 300D for free! Things are looking up.
The Sprinter is a Mercedes, even the ones badged as a Dodge or Freightliner.
Mine was a "Dodge", great engine as long as you replace the turbo's oil supply line with a newer larger one, if you dont you will eat turbo's for lunch.
Do not use the Mobil 1 0w-40, my engine blew up at 162k, $12,000 for a rebuilt one.
Use diesel oil and change it every 5,000 miles.
Let this guy know these things.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:25 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They do look cool, the Double Tree Hotel here uses them for their Guest Shuttles with the big tinted windows and a huge luggage room in the rear.

The best little engine I ever had was a Volvo inline 4 in a 240DL
164 cubic inch 135 HP. Wonder if one of them could be fit into these.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:22 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

As a matter of record the Sprinters motor and tranny IS the one you want for the Disco. Good luck finding one cheap, good luck installing it cheap. Also they are notorious for being in the garage more than on the road because they are electronically finicky. Not my idea of a daily driver. The 300D is a lump. Try hauling 15 tons with a 9 liter IH tied to a six speed up a steep grade and you'll know what the 300D's motor exactly will be like.......you'll be using your hazards more than the on/off *** on the radio.......I'm dead serious.

Last edited by ihscouts; 03-10-2012 at 02:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Mercedes I5 into a D1...