Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

A motor swap question for a legit reason

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 01:32 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A motor swap question for a legit reason

I've read the "horse power" driven posts about swapping and the "torque driven" ones. How about an economically driven one? I don't mind a heavy full size suv but what I do mind is one that drinks premium fuel like Lindsay Lohan punishes Vodka. My first car was an 87 samurai that I could use **** for gas in and I've been a Toyota guy since then. I don't need horse power or speed, I'm 31 and I likely my nice cheap insurance. I don't know anyone thats gotten laid from a fast car but I do not a lot of guys that have one and can't.

I ford 2 large creeks (4 feet deep depending on rain) just to leave my house. I maintain a hunt club in Coastal Sc as well. But 70% of my driving is on asphalt and I would simply like to be able to cruise at 80 tops comfortable and still have low end torque when I need it. I can find another series one for less than a grand around the Carolina's that needs a motor or tranny etc. I don't want to deal with the hassle or expense of a diesel its just not realistic or worth it. But I feel like there has to be an option for people like me. I really like my first Rover and I love the way it drives on the road. It cruises like nothing I've driven other than a Grand Wagoneer.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:52 AM
Mudding

Cmon guys I want a fuel efficient (unleaded gas swap) non diesel and still be able to cruise 80 on the interstate. Lets make a science project. I just found a series 1 for 400 bucks that needs a tranny. Lets do an engine swap while I'm at it and make the best and most effecient full size 4x4 on the planet.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:01 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

well I guess if you have to swap a chevy engine in.. Which I dont get why do they just say chevy, what are all chevy engines the same? WHICH ones will work? I would get the s-10 xtreme 4.3l v6 I believe it puts out 195 hp.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:15 PM
Mudding

I get where your going with that Fitch but if I'm dropping a gm motor in I'd find a supercharged 6 out of a Typhoon. Remember those the blazers that were all souped up from the factory?

Old 02-12-2011, 12:18 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seriously? If your going to do the swap for the reasons your talking about diesel would realistically be about the only option. Your pulling around a multi ton cube... any gas engine you put in is also going to drink gas. Besides, if your ONLY doing it for the fuel savings, then a swaps not right for you anyways. Do the math, just how much premium gas can you buy for what your going to spend on the new motor, the adapters, the labor, the hassles... I betting more than you would use in the next 15 to 20 years.

On top of this, if you add horse power, your going to tear up the next weakest link, then the next, then the next... Been there, done that. Be ready to not only swap out the engine, but the trans, the axels.... hell might as well just figure out how to drop the body down onto a chevy 4x4 and be done with it.

either way figure a good 5k to slap everything together... another 5k to actually do a decent job, and another 5k to do it correct.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:44 PM
Mudding

NGaRover

Seriously? Whats with your attitude guy? Its unnecessary and unwarranted. I've not been here long but the arrogance and attitude in the Rover community is unparalleled anywhere else ( note this is not all of you but the few leave the impression). I like everything about the rover motor except the fact that it has to run on premium gas which cost's me almost a dollar a gallon more. That means that I spend an extra $25 bucks a fill up at the pump. 25 x4 (weeks in a month, I fill up once a week) X 12 months in a year = 1200 Rupies. If I find a truck with a blown motor it will obviously need a motor. So instead of dropping in another factory one or rebuilding whats in it and being in the same spot. I'd like to experiment. I'm pretty sure I can grab a rebuilt american made motor for what a rover one will run me and the labor will be the same. The only variable will be the adaptor and any additional labor incurred with the details. So yeah actually it would pay for itself in likely the first year of service. How about read a little better and get the details straight thereby pulling your head out of your butt before jumping on someone else's. I did nothing to you so take your issue out elsewhere. I never said I wanted any horsepower, the stock has more than enough. In fact I said I didn't want any more horsepower. I was shooting the ****e with finch in regards to the motor from the Typhoon. Take a pill and lend some of your experience to the conversation rather than your attitude.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only chance you have is a BOP 215-340 CI motor without using those xpensive adapters. The advantage to these engines is the cast iron block/head, so no head gaskets going. They are heavy and don't have FI, but we went over a hundred years on carbs.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:57 PM
Mudding

d2luvr the adaptors dont scare me if the swap is a good one. I'll look up specs on that motor you mention but I think the less heavier the better.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:13 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I know squat about engine saps but I do know that it doesn't cost an extra 25$ to fill up. More like an extra 5-7$..

If your worried about that 5-7$ then just get regular gas. You can't convince me these things require premium gas. I heard enough about the egr but I don't believe it. And it wont dirty your engine anymore than a chevy on regular would get dirty.

Also don't all turbo'd engines require premium?

I'd say keep the engine you have now and use regular. If you must do a swap do it. With more power you probably will seeBetter mpg and if you don't abuse it shouldnt break anything

Old 02-12-2011, 02:36 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The problem is that this horse has been beaten so much that it's a bloody mass. The diesel swaps are really the only engines that have been swapped in with good results on gas mileage. There has been lots of talk in the past about a Cummins 4BT. That would be light, torque can be adjusted to match what you already have, HP is fairly equivalent and it would get about 25-30 mpg depending on how you tweak it. Only other options I have seen besides an LR engine is the Chevy 350 swap and that won't get you what you want. Not saying it can't be done just that outside of those things you will be in uncharted territory. You are pretty much on your own. Good luck and happy hunting. Let us know if you find a viable option as many disco lovers would like to find that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Quick Reply: A motor swap question for a legit reason