Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

A motor swap question for a legit reason

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 03:21 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Totally agree with the octane deal...I've used 87-91 in my ride and the best mileage i get is with 87 octane or ethanol mixed 89.

I actually got worst gas mileage with 91

I get 13-14mpg with 87

Old 02-12-2011, 03:55 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jacumja
NGaRover

Seriously? Whats with your attitude guy? Its unnecessary and unwarranted. I've not been here long but the arrogance and attitude in the Rover community is unparalleled anywhere else ( note this is not all of you but the few leave the impression). I like everything about the rover motor except the fact that it has to run on premium gas which cost's me almost a dollar a gallon more. That means that I spend an extra $25 bucks a fill up at the pump. 25 x4 (weeks in a month, I fill up once a week) X 12 months in a year = 1200 Rupies. If I find a truck with a blown motor it will obviously need a motor. So instead of dropping in another factory one or rebuilding whats in it and being in the same spot. I'd like to experiment. I'm pretty sure I can grab a rebuilt american made motor for what a rover one will run me and the labor will be the same. The only variable will be the adaptor and any additional labor incurred with the details. So yeah actually it would pay for itself in likely the first year of service. How about read a little better and get the details straight thereby pulling your head out of your butt before jumping on someone else's. I did nothing to you so take your issue out elsewhere. I never said I wanted any horsepower, the stock has more than enough. In fact I said I didn't want any more horsepower. I was shooting the ****e with finch in regards to the motor from the Typhoon. Take a pill and lend some of your experience to the conversation rather than your attitude.
Sorry if you read that as if it had attitude, it's simple fact. BTW, the rover engine IS an american engine. It basically the Buick 215 from the 60's with some modifications. Having done a few swaps, in various car, trucks and even motor homes, I'm just sharing experience.

And your not just dealing with tossing in a different motor with adapters and your done. 1st off, you have to put something in it that keeps it legal if you live anywhere that has inspection. Second, if you take the time to read my other posts you'll see I'm the least "arrogant" person you'll ever meet.

Your welcome to try and put anything into your truck you wish. drop a damn jet engine in it. Then it would burn kerosene, and thats pretty cheap... But you asked the question as to what to put in the truck to save you money on gas. Answer, after the work you put into it, and the cost of the swap it will take you 10-15 years to break even. Not even factoring in the other issue doing the swap would cause and the upkeep to provide the truck the longevity to make it that 10-15 years.

If this was simple, everyone would be doing it.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:11 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just wanted to add something that you might not be aware of, that buick 215 sitting under your hood right now is all aluminum and VERY light in comparison to similar sized/HP rated engines. If you swap in a small block... expect to also put in heaver spring etc in the front to compensate for the weight difference. That extra weight also required more HP to move it down the road. So, right there your loosing mpg.

My guess, and this is a total guess... is that a simple stock 305, which gets say 16mpg in a c-10, (I own one and that about what mine gets) would get you about 12-13 in the rover. Simply because the rover is 3 times heavier. same goes for the chevy (or even the buick) 6 cylinder. Maybe you would have luck with a 3.8 supercharged Buick engine. They are rated with good HP, are a fairly light engine and cheap. in fact I have on sitting in my yard right now full cradle engine and trans. It's going to be pulling a 5000 pound motorhome soon. and it's already been done by others and gets about 20-21mpg. 87 octane. Course, most are side mounted front wheel drive... not sure what you would do to turn it 90 and mate it to a a 4x4 trans.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:14 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

If you want better mpg then slow down, simple as that.
You cant get good mpg at 80mph while driving a brick.
And yes these things require premium, all you guys who are not running it, well, your time is coming.
You can pay alittle now or alot later, your choice.
My engine has not made it 200,000 miles by me being cheap at the pump.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:12 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

YEA 80mph is wayyy to fast.. 65 is my top speed when im in no rush [which I rarely am.]

Old 02-12-2011, 09:18 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I know is the weak before I bought the Rover I was filling up my 4runner for 38 bucks unleaded and now I'm spending $60 bucks. Granted I'm guessing the tank is bigger on the Rover but still. Fitch your right about the unleaded the lady I bought the truck from ran nothing but unleaded in it. She had no clue you weren't supposed to. As soon as I bought it I put in premium and a diesel oil change under Spikes advice. I'm dumb to the ways of the Uk but I do know gas is a lot more there than here. Do they only use premium?

Old 02-12-2011, 09:32 PM
Mudding

Spencerfitch
No turbo's don't require premium. I had an Audi a4, hauled all kinds of *** and I had the tickets to prove it. Nothing but unleaded and great mpg I will say that a rover plus side is no tickets for speeding.

Guys my truck runs like a top (knock on wood) and by all estimations I'd have to guess that its had nothing but 87 in it for 75% of that. I am not expert and don't even know the pros or cons but I would drive my Rover to New York City from South Carolina tonight. I know a motor on its way out the door and this one isn't near that. In fact my 6 cylinder 4runner had a lot more ticking and a knock in there compared to this. I also don't drive 80 all the time but if I'm headed to a Carolina game yes I'd like to be able to cruise 80 the whole way.

NgaRover

Its fine if you meant nothing buy it and its over but it came across reaking of attitude like I'd pissed on the rover flag or something. I came across a guy on a Rover forum talking about using a buick motor but minus the super charger. I'll do some research on it and I appreciate the input.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:44 PM
Mudding

What do you guys know about this engine. It'd have to be tough if Rover put it in a Defender stock. Its a 4cylinder so mpg would be up but I'm assuming its an all low torque dog like the 4 banger in the Samurai

Advertisement to SELL; Product: PARTS; Price: $1400; (Currency: US Dollars);
Land Rover Defender 5mb 8:1 4cyl Petrol Engine
I have for sale a 5mb 8:1 head gas engine out of an 83' Defender. This engine was bought from the owner of reputable Land Rover shop. He removed the engine from his personal vehicle to replace it with a 200tdi. This engine comes with the radiator, air filter, water pump, ignition, clutch, etc. Most everything needed to drop in. I am selling because I no longer need it. Would work great for a Series Rover as well. Please email me with any questions or pictures. I will do my best to answer them.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:59 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

In Europe they have 2 motor fuels, diesel and 95 octane unleaded, thats it, no regular, no mid grade, no premium, just diesel and 95.
You can convert your petrol engine to run on LPG, which alot do because LPG is cheap.
In Europe they tax your vehicle based on engine size and vehicle weight, one way around that is to put in a really small engine.
So the Defender and DI had a I-4 with over head cam as a option, it is called the MPI engine.
If you think your Disco is slow and sucks fuel now...the MPI wont even do 80mph.
A engine will only use as much fuel as it needs to do its job, a smaller engine doing twice as much work will use as much fuel as a bigger engine doing less work.
Just because the truck can do 80 does not mean it was meant too.
Its physics 101, the faster you go the more wind resistance and the more wind resistance the more power you need to over come the wind, to get more power you need more fuel.
Its your money, literally burn it up if you want to, personally I drive no faster than 65, I get 15+mpg with a SD roof rack as a daily driver.

Why dont you just do this, unplug 2 of your fuel injectors, then you will have a 6 cylinder Disco.
The spark plugs will still spark but the injectors wont use fuel because they are unplugged.
Give that a go and see what your MPG numbers are.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:17 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by d2luvr
The only chance you have is a BOP 215-340 CI motor without using those xpensive adapters. The advantage to these engines is the cast iron block/head, so no head gaskets going. They are heavy and don't have FI, but we went over a hundred years on carbs.
I believe the 215 had a one of a kind bell housing bolt patter. Our transmissions will not bolt up to a 300/340/350.

Quick Reply: A motor swap question for a legit reason