Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

My experience with 32" tires and stock gearing

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 09:31 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My experience with 32" tires and stock gearing

It works quite well. I have not dropped a single mpg and it seems to work just like how it did with 29" tires. Speedo is about 10 mph off at 70 but thats no biggie.

What I am most impressed about is how well this size tire is paired with the 4lo gearing....I went to an off road trip not too long ago and its a perfect match....perfect

Old 03-22-2011, 10:43 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

For anyone doing serious wheeling or wanting to get the best MPG and torques, 32's will cost you 1.5 MPG and a lot of low end torque.
Most of us with 32's or 33's switch over to 4:11's when going to locker since the bigger tires have a tendency to kill our diff's spider gears.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:08 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Mike. I was/am planning to go to 32" on steels and I suspected there was a weakpoint created by the change, there always is.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:06 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THIS is the downfall of LandRover IMO. I have built Chevy trucks (1/2 ton even) that you can toss on a 6" lift and 35's and KEEP stock axles and gearing and just go go go. You barely notice the difference in power, the axles hold up just fine etc etc. With a Rover(although not designed to be ran with big tires) you can barely hop up tire size without risking breakage in the axles. It seems they could just be built tougher. Hel* even a STOCK little OL early 80's Toyota 1/4 ton pick up axle can run 35-37" tires all day with no problems, I've done it!. I jusy dont see why LR builds an axle that cant even run 32-33's without breaking. Land Cruisers are around the same platform as Land Rover but they can run 37's without fear, I just dont get it??. You would think that land rover would forsee that a truck designed for expeditions, extreme 4x4 situations, etc etc would make stronger components. So what if they over built the axles and the truck never sees bigger than 33" tires?, no harm in OVER building.. However you would also think that an OFF ROAD designed rig such as the LR would attract people who want to make it even MORE capable off road.......IE BIGGER TIRES.

Last edited by AKdisco; 03-22-2011 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:08 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AKdisco
THIS is the downfall of LandRover IMO. I have built Chevy trucks (1/2 ton even) that you can toss on a 6" lift and 35's and KEEP stock axles and gearing and just go go go. You barely notice the difference in power, the axles hold up just fine etc etc. With a Rover(although not designed to be ran with big tires) you can barely hop up tire size without risking breakage in the axles. It seems they could just be built tougher. Hel* even a STOCK little OL early 80's Toyota 1/4 ton pick up axle can run 35-37" tires all day with no problems, I've done it!. I jusy dont see why LR builds an axle that cant even run 32-33's without breaking. Land Cruisers are around the same platform as Land Rover but they can run 37's without fear, I just dont get it??
The British just don't think that tall...

Old 03-22-2011, 01:12 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Chris-bob
The British just don't think that tall...
Guess not, thats why we americans can take all their women!! LOL

Old 03-22-2011, 01:38 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread had nothing to do with the axles and such....this thread was about how 32" tires are doing with the GEARING we have in our rigs

Old 03-22-2011, 01:56 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by thehun
It works quite well. I have not dropped a single mpg and it seems to work just like how it did with 29" tires. Speedo is about 10 mph off at 70 but thats no biggie.

What I am most impressed about is how well this size tire is paired with the 4lo gearing....I went to an off road trip not too long ago and its a perfect match....perfect
Your experience is not mine at all. When I went to 32's with stock gearing in my D1 I had an extremely annoying drop off in power on road and did not like the 4lo situation either especially going downhill. Went to 4:11 gearing and everything improved vastly both on road and off as far as power, driving ease, and capability. Still wish I had 4:75 gearing off road but 4:11 gears are the perfect compromise with 32's. Far, far better than the stock 3:54. As far as MPG I don't think about it or worry about it as either way MPG is poor in our Rovers. I just fill the tank and go.

Last edited by Roverrocks; 03-22-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:10 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by thehun
This thread had nothing to do with the axles and such....this thread was about how 32" tires are doing with the GEARING we have in our rigs
NOT true, It was also about saving MPG, and it being better off-road now as well as the speedo being off 10mph. Having a bad day bro??

Old 03-22-2011, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

So I have a question... I know that SOME of the defenders came with 32" tires. The 110 came with Salisbury axle, but I'm pretty sure the 90 came with the same basic axle as the D1. So the question is, if the 90 can run 32s without upgrade, why does the disco need it?Do the 90s come with 4 pinion diffs? Is it just that the 90 is lighter?

Quick Reply: My experience with 32" tires and stock gearing