Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

My first fix it! (or need to fix it)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 10:40 AM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default My first fix it! (or need to fix it)

So I noticed that there was a puddle of leaking stuff under the front of the Disco. There is a larger one on the pass side front and a small on the driver's side front.

It tastes like radiator fluid. I crawled under and could see a small amount on the frame rails. I felt under every hose and connection I could find and could not feel any liquid.

I pulled the fan shroud and peeked down in and there is leakage it appears from the radiator.

The radiator is 2 years old.

Am I missing anything? Somewhere else to look? As you can see the leaks are very far forward.

Let me add: I did not smell any radiator fluid. I took it on a pretty heavy 200 mile round trip yesterday and each time I stopped I did not smell any coolant, nor was there any steam, nor did the temp gauge move above center.

It also doesn't leak when stopped. I checked about 20 minutes after parking yesterday and no leaks. Woke up this morning: leaks.

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails My first fix it! (or need to fix it)-radiator-leak-1.jpg   My first fix it! (or need to fix it)-radiator-leak-2.jpg   My first fix it! (or need to fix it)-radiator-leak-3.jpg  

Last edited by AbnMike; 03-25-2016 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-25-2016, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

You need to have system pressure tested, keep it full

Old 03-26-2016, 02:00 PM
Mudding

No leaking overnight. Went today and got a dye to test it but it's too bright out to see. Also changing from DexCool to the green stuff.

Maybe it just decided to fix itself!

Old 03-26-2016, 06:13 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 116 Likes on 101 Posts

I would guess it might be a hose. best bet is to get a pressure test on it. I got one from Amazon that has adapters to fit all my cars so that makes it more affordable (in my opinion)

Amazon.com: Mityvac MV4560 Radiator/Cooling System and Pressure Test Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: Mityvac MV4560 Radiator/Cooling System and Pressure Test Kit: Automotive

Running low or out of coolant will do a lot of damage and is not worth taking a chance on.

Old 03-26-2016, 06:19 PM
Mudding

Thanks for the link. Of the four auto stores in my town only AutoZone had those for rent and theirs didn't fit the cap.

I definitely don't think it's a hose. I traced all of them with a paper towel looking for any leaks and didn't see any. Looks like it's at the ends of the radiator under the plastic parts - which sucks as the radiator is only 3 years old.

I'm keeping a close eye on it for now and maybe tonight that dye will show something.

Old 03-27-2016, 09:41 AM
Mudding

Ok, well there's definitely some kind of small leak on both sides of the radiator, looks like it's coming from around the plastic end caps.

My radiator looks like This one and according to the previous owner was installed 3 years ago.

I was poking around on ebay and I saw this all aluminum one, without the plastic ends

Looks like there are two kinds on there - all aluminum, and with the plastic ends.

Since the plastic ended one I have currently only lasted 3 years, I'm leaning towards the all aluminum one....

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Old 03-27-2016, 02:10 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 116 Likes on 101 Posts

I have had the plastic ended ones on various cars for years with no problems. It could be the previous owner maybe got it a bit on the warm side, which could affect the way the tanks are attached. You won't know unless you were there I guess.

When I first got my tester, I tried it on all my vehicles and found that the cap on my Disco was on the weak side so I replaced it. I wasn't having problems but I replaced it anyhow.

Good to know the tester worked!!

Old 03-28-2016, 09:46 AM
Mudding

Bump: anyone have an opinion on the two radiators I linked to in post 6?

Old 03-28-2016, 03:44 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by AbnMike
according to the previous owner was installed 3 years ago.

Bump: anyone have an opinion on the two radiators I linked to in post 6?
Those eBay radiators don't impress me.

Any identifying marks/labels on current radiator such as mfg. or PN? May want to avoid same one since you seem to think they only last 3 years per previous owner. May be older than advertised due to his memory/BS or as previously mentioned overheating could have weakened current one.

Have read good reports on Nissens, 64029 supposedly fit's the D1 and decently priced at Rockauto. Also read Lucky8 may be able to sell Nissens at VG price.

Last edited by number9; 03-28-2016 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:50 PM
Mudding

He knows when and where it was replaced so I trust him on his memory. I'll check out the Nissens, thanks.

Quick Reply: My first fix it! (or need to fix it)