Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

my tick....

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 10:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Yeah, don't do Lucas oil stabilizer for this problem. Too much of that stuff and you'll do more damage than good.

I'll throw in another +1 for MMO. It's one of those snake oils which actually seem to work.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:29 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i gotta get out there and figure out better where the sound is coming from so i can say something helpful....maybe i'll show it to a guy..im a discochondriac so if i read about a problem i have it.... maybe get my oil pressure too. then i can say something hopefully not so dumb.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

This will help - Mechanic's Stethoscope

as will the "long listening stick" which isolates the sound and makes it easier to hear over the sounds under the hood. Try it on the alternator, etc. You can use a long screw driver, etc., to keep dreadlocks out of the fan belt, etc. No kidding, machine guarding is not real good under the hood, so easy for a stray pony tail to get pulled into a belt driven pulley.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:34 AM
Pro Wrench

to do it quick i have aluminum channel or a hollow or solid broom. i dont have any dreads.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:59 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

My boss put Lucas Oil stuff into one of his trucks with a Cummins diesel, it was making noise, burning oil, etc. but it had to last another month because it was our busy time of year.
Did the 50% ratio, stopped the oil consumption, quieted down the engine, the engine lasted 6 more weeks, it had just over 200k on it.
They tore it down at the shop, all of the oil passages were plugged, the rockers were covered in goo/sludge type of substance.
It was junked and a used International engine was put in.
I would not use Lucas for anything.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I said it was for entertainment. Now if you use it at low percentage, you do get some relief from dry start, but if you use a high percentage, it can whip up into a very thick foam, like mayonaise. Oil bubbles ain't much lubrication. I did that in a gear box for a bush hog. Being really thick and sticky, it would hold all the sludge it could in suspension like Spike said. But if you had to get home, or trade it in at the stealership....

Alum channel will work, as will a long screwdriver, or just a small board.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:03 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slanginsanjuan
so if i read about a problem i have it....
Lol + 1

Really though, I went with the Rotella because it's all over the place here and it seems like a good idea. That stuff is thick. But like Spike said before- I think the thicker oils might be okay for a considerably worn engine and as an extender or an auction in a can- not for your keeper. I think what needs to happen is- thin oil or + marvel mystery oil for a period to clean passages and un-stick stuff. Next service- factory spec oil and monitor. If the need should arise for a different weight oil- take one step up, and so on. If you need it thick you can always get back to it.

As a side note to Spikes comment- does anyone else find a stickyness to the Rotella?

Old 04-13-2012, 07:14 AM
Rock Crawling

When I had the heads off my Disco and they were at the shop for a week or so, I soaked all the lifters in MMO. I had a slight tick before that. I haven't had a tick since and it's been 3 or 4 years and 40K miles or so. FWIW.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:46 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by DiscoJag
When I had the heads off my Disco and they were at the shop for a week or so, I soaked all the lifters in MMO. I had a slight tick before that. I haven't had a tick since and it's been 3 or 4 years and 40K miles or so. FWIW.
did it sound like my tick.....?

i've already convinced myself its the lifters and i'm onto Colo's job. my friend is coming today to help me listen.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:20 AM
Rock Crawling

From what I can tell, it sounded like yours. Sounds like valve tick from the lifters not pumping up enough to close the clearances. Like a solid lifter car with the clearances a little too loose. Could be other causes, but it could be sticky lifter(s).

Quick Reply: my tick....