Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

My Winch Bumper Project

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 10:26 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Powder coat pics!

Did some wiring this afternoon to hook up my fog lights. They are el-cheapo Navigator brand (NV-102Z) from Auto Zone, cost me about $20. After testing the factory fog lamp wiring with my voltmeter, I decided to splice these directly in. Used some solder and heat shrink with a little dab of Vaseline under the heat shrink for corrosion resistance. I only have teaser pics of the fog lamps because it started to get dark right as I was wrapping up the project. They look nice, and what's best they are cheap to replace if I break one. I may grab an extra set for spares.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:11 PM
Winching

Here's a daytime picture with the fog lights and the fairlead installed. Ordered a set of clear turn signals too since these fill up with water and don't work very well. My brush guard looks crooked too but I think that's mostly an optical illusion caused by my damaged hood.

I'll do some off-road testing once the trails open in April.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:16 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That looks really nice. I'd give you an A for sure.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:28 PM
Winching

Thank you! This class has been great fun! I welded an exhaust system on my Ranger last week, and will be figuring out a mounting system for my tool box this Friday. I had hoped to fix the frame rails of my Nissan but that will have to wait for now since the semester is almost over.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:23 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks great. nice work.

i like the rec fogs. those maybe a little small for you..maybe not for me tho.

also, did i say to you before i like the idea of blackening the bits under the grill and under the headlights/turnsignal? i think on a light colored (white) truck it would make the face look pretty mean.

i'm going to do mine as I fix up the outside.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:07 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by atancreti
What about protection encase you hit a dear or something? Maybe weld some steel bars that go up in front of the bumper? Just for the headlights and grill.
A dear what?

Old 03-27-2012, 08:08 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The bumper looks terrific

Old 03-27-2012, 08:17 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mountain Goat
Here's a daytime picture with the fog lights and the fairlead installed. Ordered a set of clear turn signals too since these fill up with water and don't work very well. My brush guard looks crooked too but I think that's mostly an optical illusion caused by my damaged hood.

I'll do some off-road testing once the trails open in April.
Dang, looking real good! And yes, you can tell that the driver's side of your hood sits a little higher than the passenger side and that it's not your bumper!

Old 03-27-2012, 08:27 AM
Mudding

Turned out really nice......

Did I Hear Roof Rack Next........?????????

Old 03-27-2012, 08:55 AM
Winching

Thanks Slang, Jeff, and DIIB.

Slang, yes I like these fogs, any bigger and they'd start to block the main headlights. When I have these on my low beams are about twice as bright. I'm kind of bummed that they shut off when I switch to high beams, but I guess that makes sense as a "fog light". So far, I really highly recommend this cheap Navigator brand (not sure if you can get them in PR) but they do the job without breaking the bank. One thing is you'll probably have to spend $3 to $5 replacing all the hardware they came with as it was problematic for me - was difficult to tighten down and came in seemingly non-standard sizes.

DIIB, yeah, I've been looking for a new hood the whole time I've owned this truck but finding one in SE Idaho is like finding a needle in a haystack. I've only seen one of these rigs in a junkyard in the past 1.5 years, they just aren't all that common here.

Quick Reply: My Winch Bumper Project