Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 07:06 PM
4wd Low
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default need help

i have 97 land rover discovery with 4.0, and i just replaced the fuel pump filter and did a full tune up on the engine. but having issues with cold starts and the fuel pump has to prime up before the engine with start up. im not sure what i should look at next.

Old 03-04-2016, 10:14 PM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Hello and welcome to the forums :)

Hello will help if I can. Firstly what sort of issues are you having with the cold starts I.E. rough start, rough idle, high idle, etc.

Secondly with the fuel pump priming, do you mean where it makes it's little wirring sound before you engage the starter? Or do you mean that you have to sit and wait with the key in the on position for a moment or two before engaging the starter?

Lastly with your fuel line tune up did you replace lines including filter? I know that seems obvious but just trying to get a feel for your situation. Or did you run some sort of fuel cleaner through it. Anyway let me know and will try to help ya as best as I can.

Last edited by M3g474rd; 03-04-2016 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Forgot to add a title in :P
The following users liked this post:
Madkatts (03-04-2016)
Old 03-04-2016, 10:32 PM
4wd Low
Default ok

[QUOTE=M3g474rd;557223]Hello will help if I can. Firstly what sort of issues are you having with the cold starts I.E. rough start, rough idle, high idle, etc.

Secondly with the fuel pump priming, do you mean where it makes it's little wirring sound before you engage the starter? Or do you mean that you have to sit and wait with the key in the on position for a moment or two before engaging the starter?

Lastly with your fuel line tune up did you replace lines including filter? I know that seems obvious but just trying to get a feel for your situation. Or did you run some sort of fuel cleaner through it. Anyway let me know and will try to help ya as best as I can.[/QU

dies when started sometimes and doesn't start at all and sometimes it high idles and i have to wait with the key in the on position for a moment or two before engaging he starter, and i just replaced the fuel filter,spark plugs and wires, air filter and i also replaced the fuel pump just two days ago, it also has problems going up hills and maintaining speed as well

M3g474rd (03-05-2016)
Old 03-05-2016, 12:44 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Somehow this post is bunged up, I can't post to it.

M3g474rd (03-05-2016)
Old 03-05-2016, 12:46 AM
4wd Low
Default email

please email me at madkatts@gmail.com thank you

Old 03-05-2016, 03:41 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by ihscouts
Somehow this post is bunged up, I can't post to it.
Well that one seemed to go through ok,

So forgive if the info isn't exactly presented the best, my before meds have kicked in and its 0135 here :P

Well what comes to mind is possibly a dirty MAF(Mass Airflow) You could try cleaning that, also at least with mine had a bit of the same issue and it was a issue related to the IAC (Idle Air Control sensor). Mine was due to a stupid person putting a cheap cold air intake in, but if it's dirty am thinking it could cause the same issue.

As far as the having to wait, you might want to check the fuel pump relays to see that they are getting good power. A simple light tester should work, unless you know how to run a ohm meter. Past that right now brain isn't coming up with too much. But if I think of anything else or find any info will let ya know

On a side note might want to head over to land rover service factory manual RAVE download land rover resource, service manual, workshop factory manual, download, rave, vehicles including discovery, series, defender, range rover, freelander, LR3, Handbooks, Catalog, Catalogue, Land Rover Inte and download the manual for the Disco 1. I can say from personal experience that that thing has saved me much headache many times.

Oh also forgot to ask, but is the check engine light on at all, and if so do you have a scanner to read the codes? If not most auto parts stores should read for free.

Hope this helps ya out some.

Bobby (aka M3g474rd)

Last edited by M3g474rd; 03-05-2016 at 03:44 AM. Reason: Forgot to ask a question.
Madkatts (03-09-2016)
Old 03-05-2016, 06:49 AM
4wd Low
Default hey

hey bobby i haven't cleaned out the MAF or the Relay. the check engine light is on but haven't had it checked out. today i am going to get it checked out and will update you guys with the code that comes up

M3g474rd (03-05-2016)
Old 03-05-2016, 12:11 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Check your fuel pressure at the rail, I've seen plenty of bad fuel pumps out of the box.

The following 2 users liked this post by MrValingo:
M3g474rd (03-05-2016), Madkatts (03-09-2016)
Old 03-07-2016, 07:54 PM
Mudding

Hey there just curious if you found out anything from getting the codes read? Also dohh didn't even think of checking the pressure at the rail lol.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:30 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Did the problem start after you made the changes? Or was it there before you changed the pump, filter, plugs, wires, etc.?

I'd check fuel pressure at the rail, check the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator, check your ODBII reader to verify operation of TPS (should go from something like 12% to 89% for example), then pull the IACV and clean it and clean the passageway for idle air (procedure is in RAVE). One of those things might solve it or give you a clue what the root cause is.

Quick Reply: need help