Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Need help identifying some wires!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 03:27 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help identifying some wires!

Hello,
I have taken pictures of some wires that I have on my Rover that I don't know what they do/ go to.

Thanks.
Cooler??? This is in the passenger foot well.
IMAG0280 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMAG0279 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
This is under the passenger seat. It comes from the center consul. What do they do?
IMAG0281 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Where it goes.
IMAG0282 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Trailer wiring. What do the wires with the red ends do??
IMAG0284 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMAG0285 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 10-20-2011, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

see https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...r-wires-44524/, I think I put some wire layouts in there. Believe the green/brown is back up light. Would have to open up the electrical troubleshooting guid for the purple one and the others. You must have the RAVE somewhere....

Old 10-20-2011, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

purple by trailer harness - if it has a brown stripe, that is battery from fuse F6 20 amp, satellite fuse panel 2. Could be used for just about anything, a power outlet back there could be handy....

wires under passenger seat - CD changer

cooler 10A wire - can't find much, but was there an intercooler for the diesel version?

Old 10-20-2011, 08:28 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

One thing that you need to know about the LR Discovery is that LR only manufactured one wire harness for all models regardless of what accessories/eqquipment your specific Discovery has on it. That way they could simplify their manufacturing processes in that one wire harness fit all trim levels. I do not know if that also pertains to the diesel versions as they were not approved for North American Sales (NAS).

If you have an SD with manual seats, it still has the wiring for power seats.
As well as the wiring and connectors for rear air regardless of whether you have rear air or not. If you were to remove your headliner, there will be the wiring and connectors with foam taped over the connector for the rear air if yours does not have rear air. Look under the hood by the windshield, there are two connectors dangling there for the Heated Windscreen. So you may very well find unused connectors in a multitude of places.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:55 PM
Winching

I have manual seats and rear air. I think mine is a SD but it doesn't have the stickers. I will check for the heated windscreen connectors. By windscreen you mean back right? I wouldn't mind having a power outlet in the back of the rover. Maybe a future project?

Old 10-21-2011, 04:45 AM
Super Moderator

On the cooler 10 amp, would help to know wire colors. No, I think heated windscreen is front windshield.

Old 10-21-2011, 01:01 PM
Winching
Old 10-21-2011, 01:53 PM
TReK
Received 438 Likes on 364 Posts

As for the two under the passenger seat, yes they were/are for the 6-disc changer. The purple and black are power and ground. The rectangle is the data connector which goes to the head unit.

Old 10-21-2011, 04:58 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by WaltNYC
As for the two under the passenger seat, yes they were/are for the 6-disc changer. The purple and black are power and ground. The rectangle is the data connector which goes to the head unit.
Perfect. I now need to find the 6 disc changer along with a radio that supports the cd. Anyone know who may have one?

Old 10-21-2011, 07:16 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What we call windshields, the Brits call a windscreen. Fenders are wings. Hood is a bonnet.

The underseat CD changer was a blunder for a vehicle that one of the prime attrributes is wading or fording water. As soon as the water enters the cabin, the CD changer is toast.

The factory head unit is not worth what most sellers ask for just because it is the original. If you want a good sound system, forget the early DI sound system. If you get an original unit from most places you will spend hundreds for a marginal sound system just because it is OE LR.

The SD did not come with the twin sunroofs. I have seen on here that they could be ordered with various options, so that accounts for the rear air. Cloth manual seats were standard on the SD.

Building one harness meant that all vehicles got the same harness which makes it simplier than trying to manage multiple configuration harness, that would be a logistical nightmare on the assembly line. So don't be alarmed if you see extra unused connectors in various places.

There was a thread today about wiring connectors for roof lights, on that post was a link that had multiple 12 vdc connectors thatcould easily be added to an existing but unused power wire.

My biggest concern about the unused wires is the possibility of something shorting 12 volts to the body somewhere and causing a problem. These harnesses were cheaply constructed with splices concealed within various bundles, the overwrap is not robust and tends to come off, and some sections have no overwrap at all, just a mass of wires to get damaged.

Lift your front floorboard carpets and pads and take a look at the fiasco underneath that they called a wiring loom (another british term). Pitiful for a high dollar vehicle.
I would expect that in a Hundia or a KIA, but I was disappointed to see the LR looms.
They look like they were made in a subculture in a remote part of the world with very little available resources or some where in the USSR.

Quick Reply: Need help identifying some wires!